AI creates images of what people see from just an fMRI

In summary: Wouldn't an NLP version be something more like subvocal recognition (which has been around for decades)?
BWV
Here is the image viewed by the test subjects vs the image generated by an algorithm interpreting a brain scan of the subject

1677869348644.jpeg

https://sites.google.com/view/stablediffusion-with-brain/

• Wow
Likes DennisN, berkeman and Borg
Physics news on Phys.org
What a time to be alive. Thanks to the advances in technology we can finally test if it's really true that when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

• Haha
Likes Jarvis323, DennisN, Bystander and 2 others
Swamp Thing said:
Why does the teddy bear have a Hitler moustache?
Have to ask the test subject, although perhaps weeks of therapy might be required to get the answer from them …

• Haha
Likes DennisN
I find this exciting and scary at the same time. If you use an NLP algorithm instead, it isn't a big leap to know what someone is thinking about.

Likes DennisN
Borg said:
I find this exciting and scary at the same time. If you use an NLP algorithm instead, it isn't a big leap to know what someone is thinking about.

Careful, comrade.

Swamp Thing said:
Careful, comrade.
Not what I was thinking. :wink:

Borg said:
Wouldn't an NLP version be something more like subvocal recognition (which has been around for decades)?