Age of Tree Sample: C14 Dating and Decay Rate

In summary, the equilibrium concentration of C14/C12 ≈ 1.5×10−12. A 2.5 g sample of Carbon from an old tree fragment has an activity of 4.57 decays per minute. How old is the sample? The original amount of C14 was 2.5 x1.5-12 gram. It means quite a lot of atoms, you can not take it zero!
Fixxxer125

Homework Statement

The equilibrium concentration of C14/C12 ≈ 1.5×10−12
A 2.5 g sample of Carbon from an old tree fragment has an activity of 4.57 decays per minute. How old is the sample?

Homework Equations

I'm pretty sure I use A(t)=λN(0)*exp(-tλ)
but I am having trouble calculating N(0)! The amount of C14 c.f. C12 is so tiny I don't know how to manipulate the ratio to get the mass of C14, and thus the number of nucli, in the sample. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see why the smallness of the ratio should present any difficulty.

Well I was trying to calculate the amount of C14 present by dividing 2.5g by (1 + 1.5×10−12), am I doing this the wrong way?thanks

Yes, that's wrong. You have

C14/C12 ≈ 1.5×10−12

so

C14 ≈ 1.5×10−12 C12

Ah yes I see that but then I was having trouble working out the actual amount of C12 that there was 1.5×10−12 of C14 to. surely there is something like 0.00000000001g of C14 in the sample?

Fixxxer125 said:
surely there is something like 0.00000000001g of C14 in the sample?
How did you come up with that?

Well I thought for every 1g of C12 there is 1.5×10−12g of C14? so if there are 2.5g in total basically all of this must be C12?

Yes, it's virtually all C12, but the amount of C14 you calculated is wrong.

Could you give me a bit of help on doing the ratio please?Thanks!

Originally the ratio of C14 to C12 was the same as the equilibrium ratio. But C14 decayed in the isolated sample.
The original amount of C14 was 2.5 x1.5-12 gram. It means quite a lot of atoms, you can not take it zero!

You need lambda to solve the equation for t. Do you know it?

ehild

Oh yea, I know T1/2 so can work it out, many thanks!

Related to Age of Tree Sample: C14 Dating and Decay Rate

1. How is C14 dating used to determine the age of a tree sample?

C14 dating is a radiometric dating technique that measures the amount of carbon-14 (C14) isotopes in a sample. As living organisms absorb C14 from the atmosphere, when they die, the amount of C14 decreases due to radioactive decay. By measuring the ratio of C14 to C12 isotopes in a tree sample, scientists can calculate how long it has been since the tree stopped absorbing C14, giving an estimate of its age.

2. How accurate is C14 dating in determining the age of a tree sample?

C14 dating is generally considered to be accurate within a range of +/- 50-100 years. However, the accuracy can vary depending on the condition of the sample and potential contamination. Therefore, it is important for scientists to carefully select and prepare the sample for testing and also consider other dating methods for confirmation.

3. Can C14 dating be used on all types of tree samples?

Yes, C14 dating can be used on any type of organic material, including tree samples. However, the accuracy of the dating may be affected by the type of material and its preservation. For example, older samples may have a lower C14 to C12 ratio, making it more difficult to accurately determine their age.

4. What is the decay rate of C14 and how does it affect the dating process?

The decay rate of C14 is constant, meaning a certain amount of C14 will decay into C12 over a specific period of time. This rate is known as the half-life, which is approximately 5,730 years. This rate helps scientists calculate the age of a sample by measuring the amount of C14 remaining and comparing it to the initial amount.

5. Can C14 dating be used to determine the exact age of a tree sample?

No, C14 dating can only provide an estimate of the age of a tree sample. Due to the limitations of the method, it is not possible to determine the exact age of a sample. However, with careful testing and consideration of other factors, scientists can get a fairly accurate estimate of the age of a tree sample using C14 dating.