Affordable Used Textbooks: Where to Find Cheap Deals

• Thread starter pergradus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbooks
In summary, anyone know a good place to find used textbooks? Used books can be found at a number of different places, but it's important to do your research to make sure you're getting a good deal.
pergradus
Anyone know a good place to find used textbooks?

I know of Amazon, ebay and half.com, but sometimes their prices aren't all that great, or the book isn't really well "stocked". The campus bookstore charges absurd prices, so no way I'm getting books from them...

I honestly don't care much about quality, as long as the thing isn't falling to pieces or missing pages, if it's cheap it'll do. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
pergradus said:
Anyone know a good place to find used textbooks?

I know of Amazon, ebay and half.com, but sometimes their prices aren't all that great, or the book isn't really well "stocked". The campus bookstore charges absurd prices, so no way I'm getting books from them...

I honestly don't care much about quality, as long as the thing isn't falling to pieces or missing pages, if it's cheap it'll do. Any suggestions?

I found that used book prices were fairly close - both my brick/mortar bookstores (univ owned, and the nearby independant) and online are all competitive. I've been price shopping last few terms and generally found that Barnes and Noble's network of used booksellers is one of the better groups online, but even then - often it was cheaper to get it used at the university.

However, it varies book to book; one semester, if I bought every book from one source (BN-used, or either of the local stores) the price would be the same - but splitting the order and ordering the cheaper from the proper source saved me a bit of money. Is it worth it? If I'm only saving a few dollars, I'd rather have the piece of mind of going to my local bookstore and picking them up. I would really look side-by-side at the same quality of book to compare prices. Your local store may surprise you.

Also take note: many books have online resources now that professors use, and you may not really be saving any money buying a used book if you have to buy an online access as well.

i've seen old textbooks show up at flea markets before. i think the homeschoolers tend to be a market for this. but pickens can be slim, and mostly not at your level, probably. still, i was pleasantly surprised to get Dorf's 7th ed. Modern Control Systems for $5.

Proton Soup said:
pickens can be slim

Slim-pickens_riding-the-bomb_enh-lores.jpg

Ya-HOOO!

(sorry, couldn't resist)

lol, i had to double check my spelling on that. must be a freudian thing.

Amazon doesn't have? That's not possible. Try Craig's list?

I find that auction sites like ebay and amazon or hit or miss too.

What I do is create a spread sheet and use websites like directtextbook.com or bookfinder.com, they do most of the heavy lifting and then I can compare their results to the auction sites. This usually helps me get a pretty good deal.

Although I recently read an article on dirt cheap college textbooks that showed these websites exclude some textbook websites. They have a pretty good list of textbook websites and which ones other sites exclude.

I'm going to try renting some of mine from http://www.chegg.com/ they seems reasonably priced. But if you want to save money you have to do the research!

abebooks.com

Related to Affordable Used Textbooks: Where to Find Cheap Deals

1. Where can I find affordable used textbooks?

The best places to find cheap deals on used textbooks are online marketplaces such as Amazon, eBay, and Chegg, as well as local bookstores or campus bookstores. You can also try searching on social media platforms like Facebook Marketplace or joining student buy/sell/trade groups.

2. How can I ensure the quality of the used textbooks?

Before purchasing a used textbook, make sure to thoroughly check the condition of the book. Look for any damages or missing pages and ask the seller for pictures if they are not already provided. You can also read reviews from previous buyers to get an idea of the book's condition.

3. Is it safe to buy used textbooks online?

Yes, it is generally safe to buy used textbooks online from reputable websites and sellers. However, it is important to be cautious and do your research before making a purchase. Look for secure payment options and read reviews from previous buyers to ensure a safe transaction.

4. Can I sell my textbooks back after using them?

Yes, you can sell your textbooks back to online marketplaces or campus bookstores, especially if they are still in good condition. However, keep in mind that you may not receive the same amount of money you paid for the book, so it's important to compare prices and sell back to the highest bidder.

5. Are there any other ways to save money on textbooks?

Aside from buying used textbooks, you can also consider renting textbooks, purchasing digital versions, or buying older editions of the textbook. You can also try negotiating prices with the seller or buying textbooks in bulk with other students to get a discount. Additionally, don't forget to check if your school's library has a copy of the textbook that you can borrow for free.