Advice on possible nuclear contamination

• Thread starter DGR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuclear
In summary, the person has received a guitar from Japan and has noticed a metallic taste when near it. They are concerned about possible radioactivity and seeking advice on the level of contamination. It is suggested that they may be inhaling mercury vapor and should contact the local poison control and visit a doctor for testing. It is also mentioned that it is unlikely to be radioactivity as customs would have detected it. Instead, it is believed to be a possible chemical contamination with heavy metals.
DGR
Hi, I have recently received a guitar direct from a private seller in Japan and have noticed a metallic taste in my mouth when coming into close proximity to the instrument. I am looking for advice on whether it may be radio-active and if so the level of contamination.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's possible that you have been inhaling Mercury vapor. Although likely rare, it isn't unheard of for industrial processes to contaminate products with Mercury.

http://patient.info/doctor/heavy-metal-poisoning

Please contact the local poison control with your concerns. You should visit a doctor immediately for testing of heavy metal poisoning, it could be Lead, but more likely Mercury.

It is not radioactivity. Customs has sensitive radiation detectors, and there is no plausible way how a guitar could become so radioactive that you could directly note it.
A chemical contamination with heavy metals might be possible.

Likes Fervent Freyja

Related to Advice on possible nuclear contamination

1. What is nuclear contamination?

Nuclear contamination refers to the presence of radioactive materials in the environment, which can be harmful to both living organisms and the environment. It can occur as a result of nuclear accidents, such as a reactor meltdown, or from the production and testing of nuclear weapons.

2. How does nuclear contamination happen?

Nuclear contamination can happen through various means, including accidents at nuclear power plants, improper disposal of nuclear waste, and nuclear weapons testing. It can also occur naturally from sources such as radon gas in the Earth's crust.

3. What are the health risks associated with nuclear contamination?

The health risks of nuclear contamination depend on the level of exposure and the type of radioactive material involved. Short-term exposure can cause radiation sickness, while long-term exposure can lead to an increased risk of cancer and other health problems. Exposure during pregnancy can also result in birth defects.

4. How can we protect ourselves from nuclear contamination?

The best way to protect yourself from nuclear contamination is to follow evacuation orders and stay inside during a nuclear emergency. If you are exposed, seek medical attention immediately. It is also important to follow proper safety protocols when handling and disposing of radioactive materials.

5. What should I do if I suspect nuclear contamination in my area?

If you suspect nuclear contamination in your area, you should listen to local authorities for instructions and follow any evacuation orders. Avoid consuming contaminated food or water and stay inside until it is safe to go outside. Contact emergency services if you or someone else is experiencing symptoms of radiation exposure.