[Advice Needed:] Research in Astronomy/Astrophysics/Cosomology

• Thread starter C|S
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on potential research topics in the field of astronomy/astrophysics/cosmology using the equipment available to them at their university. They have experience in all sky photometry, astrometry/photometry of minor planets, and photometry of variable stars, but are looking for more interesting and useful research topics. They are open to suggestions and would like to submit their work for publication in a physics/astronomy journal.
C|S
Hello.

This may seem like a somewhat trivial question and may be placed in the wrong subforum (sorry if it is), but please consider my question seriously as it is important to me.

Background:
The university I attend owns a 0.6m Ritchey-Chretien telescope and an http://www.ccd.com/alta_u9000.html" camera which I have been using for the past year. My work so far has been doing some all sky photometry of some distant star cluster using the Johnson-Cousins standard filters. The work has been primarily based in the V and B filters for Color Index determination. The work has mainly contributed to calculating distances to these star clusters via spectroscopic parallax accounting for atmospheric extinction (interstellar extinction has not been accounted for, but we are still looking into it). I have also done work in astrometry/photometry of minor planets and photometry of variable stars.

Question:
I have been asked to come up with a research outline for my senior thesis based off some of the work I have done so far. My professor's have given me the flexibility, however, to choose the direction I take in deciding the actual research topic.

My question to anyone who is interested in astronomy/astrophysics/cosmology is which avenue's of research are open to me with equipment at hand? In other words, can any of you suggest research topics which (seeing permitted :-S ) I could tackle and would be interesting and useful.

At this point the work I have done has been incredibly interesting and satisfying but I haven't found any real use for my data.. Calculating distances isn't incredibly useful at this point (at least that is how I am starting to feel). I would really like to do work that would be worthy of submission/publication to a physics/astronomy journal. Even if that is thinking with my head in the clouds I would simply love to be able to do some more interesting research on some new topics, so if any of you can point me in a direction or give me some advice I would be very grateful. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Can anyone offer some advice regarding my inquiry?

Related to [Advice Needed:] Research in Astronomy/Astrophysics/Cosomology

What is the difference between astronomy, astrophysics, and cosmology?

Astronomy is the study of celestial objects and phenomena in the universe. Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that focuses on the physical and chemical properties of these objects. Cosmology is a broader field that studies the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe as a whole.

What are some research topics in astronomy, astrophysics, and cosmology?

Some common research topics in these fields include the study of planets, stars, galaxies, black holes, dark matter, and the early universe. Other areas of research include the search for extraterrestrial life, the development of new telescopes and instruments, and the exploration of space through missions and spacecraft.

What skills are necessary for conducting research in these fields?

Strong mathematical and analytical skills are essential for conducting research in astronomy, astrophysics, and cosmology. In addition, a solid understanding of physics, computer programming, and data analysis are important. Good communication and teamwork skills are also valuable for collaborating with other researchers.

How can I get involved in research in astronomy, astrophysics, or cosmology?

The best way to get involved in research in these fields is to pursue a degree in astronomy, physics, or a related field and gain experience through internships, research projects, or collaborations with other researchers. It is also helpful to stay updated on current research and attend conferences and workshops to network with other scientists.

What are some current advancements or breakthroughs in astronomy, astrophysics, and cosmology?

Recent advancements in these fields include the discovery of exoplanets, the detection of gravitational waves, and the study of fast radio bursts. Other breakthroughs include the development of new telescopes and technologies, such as the James Webb Space Telescope and the Event Horizon Telescope, which allow scientists to observe the universe in greater detail than ever before.