Advice needed on a laser activated LED

• Thread starter alex444
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser Led
In summary: So, if you want to build a laser activated bb, you're probably looking at a few hundred dollars worth of parts.
alex444
Hello all

First off, I'm afraid I do not have much in the way of electrical engineering knowledge or experience, hence why I am here. I hope you will be gentle with me :)

I am trying to determine the process (i.e. components, equipment etc) that I would need to set up an laser activated LED.

I am an airsofter, and often use bbs that glow in the dark when charged with an LED. The usual set up is to buy these as mock style silencers; when a bb travels down the tube, it hits a laser (I assume breaking a connection), which triggers the LED to flash, which then charges the bb.

I'm sorry if this is too simple a project for this forum, or if indeed this is totally the wrong place for this, but I would be very grateful for any guidance on this project.

Thanks in advance
Alex

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

The thing about a laser is that they're very directional--unlike Star Trek or Star Wars, you don't see the beams unless they hit something that scatters the light. So, conceivably, the laser is on all the time, and you just perceive the flash whenever the BB crosses it.

If there *does* need to be a triggering mechanism, it's also probably easier to just use the actual trigger of the airsoft (I'm not an airsofter so I have no clue what the electronics are like). As soon as you press the trigger, the light flashes briefly for a few milliseconds (however long it takes for the BB to go down the barrel).

For an initial project, I'd go with my first idea of wiring up a laser to be on all the time. Regrettably, for projects such as these, anything that you or I can come up with tends to be bulkier, less refined, and usually more expensive than what you can buy (edutainment value aside).

Related to Advice needed on a laser activated LED

1. How does a laser activate an LED?

The laser activates the LED by emitting a beam of light that is focused onto the LED's surface. This light is absorbed by the LED's semiconductor material, causing it to release energy in the form of photons. These photons then excite the electrons in the LED, allowing them to flow and create light.

2. What factors should be considered when choosing a laser to activate an LED?

There are several factors to consider when choosing a laser for this purpose. These include the wavelength of the laser, its power output, and its beam diameter. The laser's wavelength must match the absorption spectrum of the LED's semiconductor material for efficient activation. The power output and beam diameter should also be carefully selected to ensure the right amount of energy is delivered to the LED.

3. Can any type of LED be activated by a laser?

Yes, most types of LEDs can be activated by a laser. However, the laser's wavelength must match the absorption spectrum of the LED's semiconductor material for efficient activation. Additionally, some LEDs may have different power requirements, so it is important to carefully select a laser with the appropriate power output.

4. What are some potential applications of laser-activated LEDs?

Laser-activated LEDs have a wide range of potential applications. They are commonly used in optical communication systems, such as fiber optics, for transmitting data at high speeds. They are also used in medical devices for procedures such as laser surgery and photodynamic therapy. In addition, laser-activated LEDs are used in barcode scanners, laser printers, and other consumer electronics.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with laser-activated LEDs?

Yes, there are safety concerns when working with laser-activated LEDs. The laser used to activate the LED can be harmful if not used properly. It is important to wear appropriate eye protection and follow safety protocols when working with lasers. Additionally, the LED itself may produce intense light, so precautions should be taken to avoid eye damage or burns.