Advanced Data Fitting - More than Simple Regressions

In summary, you want to learn how to fit a family of exponential equations to data by estimating the values of the constant parameters.
HumanistEngineer
Hello All,
I want to improve myself in data fitting in order to derive new equations for the data from experimental results and/or performance analysis. I am an engineering researcher and since I found some out-of-world formulations derived from performance data, I need to learn this advanced data fitting (or whatever its name is) discipline.
Please guide me to the exact field name and/or books to achieve this skill. I guess that this is not just Math but also Physics so that one could put the relationship between the input data and/or dimensionless quantities.
For example: How come one could derive this formulation for the correction factor data (LMTD heat exchanger) as shown below:
Here is the formulation/expression:
Correction_Factor.png

For the graph:
2017_06_22_10_06_52_Logarithmic_Mean_Temperature_Difference_LMTD_Correction_Factor_Charts.png

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think these equations must come from expertise in the physics of the subject matter rather than from a curve-fitting approach.

Likes HumanistEngineer and DrClaude
HumanistEngineer said:
I want to improve myself in data fitting in order to derive new equations for the data from experimental results and/or performance analysis.
Are you trying to derive new equations? Or are you trying to fit a family of equations that is defined by some constant parameters to data by estimating the values of the constant parameters?

Stephen Tashi said:
Are you trying to derive new equations? Or are you trying to fit a family of equations that is defined by some constant parameters to data by estimating the values of the constant parameters?
For now, I want to fit a family of equations (at least I can find the most close function form so that I can run an optimization to find the coefficients of the function form). I have been reading a lot in most of the web forums, if I understand correctly, there is a way to find equation patterns of which some suggests working with slopes and finding the coefficients by use of that (while keeping the other input parameters constant) or something similar as this approach. I am totally new so can't interpret what is told in most.
Why I need this is to integrate the heat exchanger model in my simulations but not limited to this.
Long way but the best is to spend time again what was teached in Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics,... and this time paying attention about the theoretical basis of the formulations derived. But still a detailed reference book is my need to understand how such relation between input and/or dimensionless parameters and the results (math part) are found by some (as the LMTD correction factor example could be made). Also, I need a function for e(ffectiveness)-NTU method.
Thank you.

HumanistEngineer said:
For now, I want to fit a family of equations (at least I can find the most close function form so that I can run an optimization to find the coefficients of the function form).
This is still confusing to me. I think of a "family of equations" as functions that only differ by some parameters. So "fitting" the family of equations would mean running an optimization to find the coefficients (parameters) of the function form. But you seem to have something different in mind since you talk about doing the parameter optimization after fitting the family. Could you explain a little more what you mean by "fitting a family of equations"?

FactChecker said:
This is still confusing to me. I think of a "family of equations" as functions that only differ by some parameters. So "fitting" the family of equations would mean running an optimization to find the coefficients (parameters) of the function form. But you seem to have something different in mind since you talk about doing the parameter optimization after fitting the family. Could you explain a little more what you mean by "fitting a family of equations"?

Let me explain by my words. I want to derive/define a sole function form of an exponential equation i.e. a exp (b x + c) + d and run an optimization that minimizes the error between calculated and the real data by finding the coefficients i.e. a, b, c, d (at last the optimization can result for some of these coefficients in zero so I will remove that part considering multiplication i.e. b). Function form is not straightforward to find since two original input parameters P and R affect the correction factor (each line in the above graph is different values of R while all lines change with changing P value). This is my quick solution.

My curiosity is about the equation formation as in the first question comment of mine. That is out-of-world for me that someone could define the expressions (mid parameter X ) and, by use of X, R, and P, another complex equation formation that finds the correction factor (Y-Axis). Such complex relationing, I want to learn that but don't know which discipline involves such high relationing/regression.

Thank you.

Are you saying that you already know exp (b x + c) + d or that the first step is to find it among many other alternatives? If the later is the case, then I think that you are trying to use statistics to replace subject matter expertise. I don't recommend that. The equations in your original post are very complicated. They were not found with statistics. There is some theoretical basis for them.

FactChecker said:
Are you saying that you already know exp (b x + c) + d or that the first step is to find it among many other alternatives? If the later is the case, then I think that you are trying to use statistics to replace subject matter expertise. I don't recommend that. The equations in your original post are very complicated. They were not found with statistics. There is some theoretical basis for them.

Quick solution to integrate this correction factor in my large simulation can be ok with the most close function form i.e. a exp (b x + c) + d. But since I need to publish after some time I need to learn to drive the real expression or something close to that. I am sure that there must be a field in Math to find such relations between the input, mid-calculation datas and the result. If someone will guide me, I will buy the books for this field.

Related to Advanced Data Fitting - More than Simple Regressions

1. What is advanced data fitting and how is it different from simple regressions?

Advanced data fitting is a statistical method used to analyze data and find the best fit for a given set of data points. It goes beyond simple linear regressions and involves using more complex mathematical models and algorithms to find the most accurate fit for the data. This can include using polynomial, exponential, or logarithmic functions, as well as incorporating multiple variables into the analysis.

2. What are the benefits of using advanced data fitting?

Advanced data fitting allows for a more thorough and accurate analysis of data. It can provide a better understanding of the relationship between variables, and can also help to predict future trends and patterns. Additionally, advanced data fitting can handle a wider range of data types and can account for non-linear relationships between variables, which simple regressions cannot do.

3. What types of data can be analyzed using advanced data fitting?

Advanced data fitting can be used to analyze a wide range of data types, including numerical, categorical, and time series data. It is also useful for analyzing data with multiple variables and can handle non-linear relationships between variables.

4. How is advanced data fitting performed?

The process of advanced data fitting involves several steps. First, the data is cleaned and prepared for analysis. Then, a mathematical model is selected based on the type of data and the expected relationship between variables. The model is then fitted to the data using various techniques such as least squares or maximum likelihood. Finally, the model is evaluated to determine its accuracy and effectiveness in fitting the data.

5. What are some common techniques used in advanced data fitting?

Some common techniques used in advanced data fitting include polynomial regression, non-linear regression, and multiple linear regression. Other techniques may also be used, such as logistic regression for binary data, ANOVA for categorical data, and time series analysis for time-dependent data. Ultimately, the choice of technique depends on the type of data and the expected relationship between variables.