Adjusted vehicle acceleration up an incline

In summary, a general formula for calculating the amount of acceleration on a vehicle with given mass, friction coefficient, acceleration force, and slope can be determined using the equation -mgsin(theta) + (umgcos(theta))/m, with consideration for the vehicle's maximum friction force and engine force.
raverix

Homework Statement

I need to come up with a general formula that a vehicle with given mass(m), friction coefficient(u), acceleration force(f), and slope(theta), return the amount of acceleration on the vehicle.

Homework Equations

max acceleration on an incline = -mgsin(theta) + (umgcos(theta))/m

The Attempt at a Solution

Following the information here, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=235128 I believe the equation for the maximum acceleration up an incline, = -mgsin(theta) + (umgcos(theta))/m, but this is just the maximum possible given the friction. I need to scale this down depending on the how much force the vehicle can put out.

Any suggestions on the next step, or am I going about this the wrong way?

Physics news on Phys.org
As you're probably aware, the maximum friction force is

Fmax = μs N

I think that expression would just be replaced with the (presumably lower) force the vehicle's engine is capable of.

I was under the impression that it would be more complicated, namely, that the force that the car could put out would get less and less as the slope increased, now I'm thinking this was where I was mistaken. The force that the vehicle can put out doesn't decrease until the vehicle's force exceeds the maximum friction force, so the solution, will look something like this...

if VehicleForce > MaxFrictionForce
max acceleration on an incline = -mgsin(theta) + (umgcos(theta))/m
if vehicleForce <= MaxFructionForce
max acceleration on an incline = -mgsin(theta) + vehicleforce

Sound right?

Seems right, just be careful with the m's. I.e., mgsinθ is a force, not an acceleration ... just need to remove the mass from that term.

Related to Adjusted vehicle acceleration up an incline

1. What is adjusted vehicle acceleration up an incline?

Adjusted vehicle acceleration up an incline refers to the change in acceleration a vehicle experiences when driving on an incline or hill. This adjustment takes into account the effects of gravity and the incline angle on the vehicle's acceleration.

2. Why is it important to consider adjusted vehicle acceleration up an incline?

It is important to consider adjusted vehicle acceleration up an incline because it affects the performance and handling of a vehicle while driving on inclines. It also impacts fuel efficiency and the overall safety of the vehicle.

3. How is adjusted vehicle acceleration up an incline calculated?

Adjusted vehicle acceleration up an incline is calculated by using the formula a = gsinθ, where a is the adjusted acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the incline angle in degrees.

4. What factors can influence adjusted vehicle acceleration up an incline?

The main factors that can influence adjusted vehicle acceleration up an incline are the incline angle, the weight and distribution of the vehicle, and the power and torque of the engine. Other factors such as road conditions and wind resistance may also have an impact.

5. How can adjusted vehicle acceleration up an incline be improved?

Adjusted vehicle acceleration up an incline can be improved by using a vehicle with a more powerful engine, reducing the weight of the vehicle, maintaining proper tire pressure, and using proper driving techniques such as shifting to a lower gear and maintaining a steady speed.