Adjustable hood - deflector - for conveyor

• Thread starter Sudorrac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conveyor
In summary, the conversation is about creating an adjustable hood to deflect material off of a conveyor. The speaker initially planned on using a pneumatic system but realized it would be too complicated and cause wear on the pneumatics. They are open to discussing solutions with other mechanical engineers and are interested in designs used for snow blowers. Another person suggests using a single pneumatic cylinder to control the flow.
Sudorrac
Adjustable "hood" - deflector - for conveyor

I need an adjustable hood to deflect material coming off the conveyor...

I was planning on making a system that can horizontally adjust, as well as the angle - to compensate for possible varying flow rates of the conveyor..

initially i was going to set up a pneumatic system, using two rodless cylinders either side and a self locking cylinder for the rotation - however upon greater thought, i realized there are too many complications and too much wear on the actual pneumatics. Along with my lack of experience in that particular area of circuit design.

Is there any mechanical mechanism's that will allow me to get the function i need?

Engineering news on Phys.org

BTW - i am actually a newly grad mechanical engineer - and would love to have discussions relating this with any like minded people - wether they know a solution or just interested in my progess.

Look at snow blowers. I've seen some clever designs on small ones -- such as the types used by homeowners.

Ah i see, i never thought of that - I am from australia. lol.

If you come across any links to good design, send them through :) cheers

you can use one pneumatic cylinder mounted on the side of the hood this is enough to control the flow - I think

Related to Adjustable hood - deflector - for conveyor

1. What is an adjustable hood and deflector for a conveyor?

An adjustable hood and deflector is a device that is installed on a conveyor system to control the direction and flow of materials being transported. It is typically made of durable materials such as steel or aluminum and can be adjusted to fit the specific needs of different conveyor systems.

2. How does an adjustable hood and deflector work?

The hood and deflector are positioned above the conveyor belt and use a series of adjustable panels to guide the material being transported. The panels can be angled and positioned to direct the material onto different sections of the conveyor or to prevent it from falling off the sides.

3. What are the benefits of using an adjustable hood and deflector?

Using an adjustable hood and deflector can help improve the efficiency and safety of a conveyor system. It can prevent material from spilling or getting stuck, reducing the need for manual intervention. It also allows for better control of the direction and flow of materials, reducing the risk of damage to the conveyor or the material being transported.

4. Can an adjustable hood and deflector be customized for specific conveyor systems?

Yes, an adjustable hood and deflector can be customized to fit the specific dimensions and needs of different conveyor systems. The panels can be adjusted to fit the width and height of the conveyor, and the angle can be changed to accommodate different types of materials.

5. Are there any maintenance or safety considerations for using an adjustable hood and deflector?

Maintenance for an adjustable hood and deflector is minimal, as long as it is made of durable materials and properly installed. However, it is important to regularly check and adjust the panels to ensure they are functioning correctly. As for safety, it is important to follow all safety guidelines and precautions when installing and using the hood and deflector to avoid any accidents or injuries.