Adjoint operator in bra-ket notation

In summary, the individual is asking for clarification on how to calculate the expression <A†φ|ψ> using linear algebra. They have given some numeric values for the bra <φ|, ket |ψ>, and the matrix A. They are unsure of how to calculate the conjugate transpose of A†φ| and are seeking guidance on the correct order of operations. The expert explains that in traditional matrix notation, the bra notation is equivalent to taking the conjugate transpose, and the components of the vector ψ in the traditional matrix expression (A†ψ)† are the same as those in the ket vector |ψ>.
xshadow
Hi!

First of all I want apologize for my bad english!
Second, I'm doing a physical chemystry course about the main concepts of quantum mechanics !

The Professor has given to me this definition of "the adjoint operator":

<φ|Aψ> = <Aφ|ψ>

My purpose is to verificate this equivalence so i gave some numeric values at <φ|, ψ> and at the matrix A (rappresentative of an operator).
Then i calculate the expression <φ|Aψ> multiplicating,at first ,the product |Aψ> = A|ψ> and then doing the scalar product <φ|Aψ>...The bra and ket are 1x3 and 3x1 matrix respectively ,while A is 3x3.

Now my problem is to calculate the "other" expression: <Aφ|ψ>

Because this expression says to calculate first <Aφ|.
BUT i dont' know how to calculate this because according to the linear algebra i can't do the product between A and <φ| (i.e. <Aφ|=A<φ|. In fact it would be a product between a 3x3 matrix and a 1x3 vector...I'm not able to do this but only the product 1x3 | 3X3 at most...

So how can i calculate the expression <Aφ|ψ> using the linear algebra?? I have to shift the matrix in order to do that product (where?)or what??

Thanks very much! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
A bra notation ##\langle \ldots |## is just the instruction to calculate the conjugate transpose of a vector it confines. To express something like ##\langle A^\dagger \phi |## in matrix notation, just first compute the matrix multiplication of the quantity inside the bra, and then take its conjugate transpose.

Hii!

I don't understand why i have to take its conjugate transpose. after having calculated Aφ|
To calculate <Aφ| ,assumed that i know the numerical values of the BRA <φ| and the matrix A what do i have to do?:

1) A<φ|

OR

2) <φ|A

Because i think that the relative order is important (the matric product usually is not commutative)...and the first expression according to linear algebra is not allowed ( matrix 3x3 * bra 1x3)

##\langle \psi | A## means in traditional matrix notation ##\psi ^\dagger A##. Similarly, if you try to put the A inside the bra like ##\langle A^\dagger \psi |##, you'll have ##\left({A^\dagger}\psi \right)^\dagger##, which is the same thing.

Likes vanhees71, xshadow and blue_leaf77
Lorran has explained the answer for me.

Likes xshadow and Icaro Lorran

Only one last thing please:

The components of the vector ψ in the traditional matrix expression (Aψ) (corresponding to the bra <Aψ| ) are the same components of the ket vector |ψ> ??

[FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]:)[/FONT]

xshadow said:
The components of the vector ψ in the traditional matrix expression (A†ψ)† (corresponding to the bra <A†ψ| ) are the same components of the ket vector |ψ> ??
Yes, they are the same.

Likes xshadow

Related to Adjoint operator in bra-ket notation

1. What is an adjoint operator in bra-ket notation?

An adjoint operator in bra-ket notation is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the relationship between two linear operators. It is represented by a Hermitian conjugate and is used to find the inner product between two states.

2. How is an adjoint operator written in bra-ket notation?

In bra-ket notation, an adjoint operator is written as the Hermitian conjugate of the original operator, denoted by a dagger symbol. For example, if the original operator is represented as |A>, the adjoint operator would be written as |A†>.

3. What is the purpose of an adjoint operator in quantum mechanics?

The adjoint operator is used to find the inner product between two states, which is an important concept in quantum mechanics. It also plays a crucial role in finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of an operator.

4. How is the adjoint operator related to the dual space in quantum mechanics?

The adjoint operator is closely related to the dual space in quantum mechanics. The dual space is the space of all linear functionals on a given vector space, and the adjoint operator maps an element from the original vector space to its corresponding dual space element.

5. Can an adjoint operator be non-Hermitian?

Yes, an adjoint operator can be non-Hermitian. However, in quantum mechanics, the adjoint operator is typically taken to be the Hermitian conjugate of the original operator. This is because the adjoint operator is used to find the inner product, and for the inner product to be real, the adjoint operator must be Hermitian.