Adiabatic Expansion Homework: q,w,ΔU,ΔT,ΔH

In summary, we are given a sample of 2.5 mol O2 confined in 23 dm3 at 270 K, and it undergoes adiabatic expansion against a constant pressure of 600 Torr until the volume has increased by a factor of 3.0. We are asked to calculate q, w, ΔU, ΔT, and ΔH, with the final pressure of the gas not necessarily being 600 Torr. Using the equations Tf=Ti(Vi/Vf)^(1/c), c=Cv,m/R, and Cv,m=Cp,m-R, we can find q, w, and the change in internal energy. However, finding the temperature change may be more difficult, as
smithnh

Homework Statement

A sample of 2.5 mol O2 (Cp,m = 29.355 J K-1 mol-1) is originally confined in 23 dm3 at 270 K and then undergoes adiabatic expansion against a constant pressure of 600 Torr until the volume has increased by a factor of 3.0. Calculate q, w, ΔU, ΔT, and ΔH. (The final pressure of the gas is not necessarily 600 Torr.)

Homework Equations

Tf=Ti(Vi/Vf)^(1/c); c=Cv,m/R; Cv,m=Cp,m-R

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found q,w, and the change in internal energy, however I am having difficulty finding the temperature change. Why is my approach not working.

Tf=270K*(23 dm^3/ 69 dm^3)^(8.314 J/mol/K /(29.355 J/mol/k- 8.314 J/mol/K)

Is it that the heat capacity at constant volume is not Cp,m-R and if so how do I find it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you got to find delta T by using W=C(at constant volume) * delta T, where
C(at constant pressure)- C(at constant volume)= nR

Your approach is not working because you are using the wrong formula for calculating the temperature change. The formula you have used is for an isothermal process, where the temperature remains constant. In an adiabatic process, heat is not exchanged with the surroundings, so the temperature change cannot be calculated using this formula.

To find the temperature change in an adiabatic process, you can use the following formula:

Tf = Ti * (Vf/Vi)^((γ-1)/γ)

Where γ is the adiabatic index, which for a diatomic gas like O2 is equal to 1.4.

Using this formula, you should be able to find the temperature change and then calculate ΔH using the formula ΔH = ΔU + PΔV. Remember to convert the pressure from Torr to Pa before using it in the formula.

I hope this helps with your homework. Good luck!

Related to Adiabatic Expansion Homework: q,w,ΔU,ΔT,ΔH

1. What is adiabatic expansion?

Adiabatic expansion is a process in thermodynamics where a gas expands without gaining or losing heat to its surroundings. This means that the change in internal energy of the gas is solely due to the work done by or on the gas.

2. What is q in the context of adiabatic expansion?

In the context of adiabatic expansion, q refers to the heat transfer of the gas. Since adiabatic expansion is a process that does not involve any heat transfer, the value of q is equal to zero.

3. What does w represent in adiabatic expansion?

w represents the work done by or on the gas during adiabatic expansion. This can be calculated using the equation w = -PΔV, where P is the pressure and ΔV is the change in volume of the gas.

4. How is ΔU related to adiabatic expansion?

ΔU, or change in internal energy, is directly related to adiabatic expansion. Since there is no heat transfer in this process, the change in internal energy is solely due to the work done. This means that ΔU = w, or the change in internal energy is equal to the work done.

5. What is the difference between ΔT and ΔH in adiabatic expansion?

ΔT represents the change in temperature during adiabatic expansion, which is related to the change in internal energy. On the other hand, ΔH represents the change in enthalpy, which takes into account both the change in internal energy and the work done. In an adiabatic process, where there is no heat transfer, the values of ΔT and ΔH will be the same.