Adding Velocities: Newbie Question on Special Relativity

• Thread starter servo75
  • Start date
In summary, the ball will seem to move at a slower speed to someone else who is stationary relative to you and who is using their own ruler and clock.
servo75
Hi all, I'm new to these boards. I have a basic conceptual knowledge of physics, but I was just watching some videos about special relativity and the following question struck me. I'm sure this is probably a pretty simple question but it's really been bothering me...

I understand how "c" is constant and absolute and that it's improper to simply add velocities, but let's take the scenario where I'm on a spaceship traveling at the speed of light minus, say, 1 foot per second. I'm standing still (relative to the ship). I throw a baseball forward at 4 ft/s. Now to a stationary observer you can't add the velocities and say the ball is going faster than light. However in my own frame of reference, I'm at rest, so wouldn't I see the ball traveling away from me at 4 ft/s? How does one resolve this? I figure it has something to do with length contraction of the ball so it's not "really" going at 4 ft/s, but isn't the spaceship length contracted as well? Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Please feel free to be "mathy" in your response.

Physics news on Phys.org
To you, of course, the ball will seem to travel at 4 ft/s relative to yourself. To someone else standing nearby as you whiz past at just under c, the ball will seem to be barely moving relative to you. This is because of two factors:

* Your ruler is length-contracted in the bystander's frame of reference, so at the point where you claim the ball has moved 4 feet relative to you, the bystander disagrees because to him your ruler is much shorter than it should be.

* Your clock runs slow in the bystander's frame of reference, so at the point when you say one second has elapsed since you released the ball, the bystander says much more time has actually gone by.

If the bystander uses his own ruler and his own clock, he measures a much smaller relative speed than 4 m/s.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks! I assume that since my ruler is "contracted" from the bystander's point of view, then the ship itself is contracted as well (since either the ship or the ruler could be used to measure the ball's distance).

The formula is this: if you are moving, relative to me, at speed u, and you throw a ball at speed, relative to you, v, then I will observe the ball moving at speed, relative to me, [itex](u+ v)/(1+ uv/c^2)[/itex]
If u and v are both very small reative to c, this will be very close to u+ v. But if either both are close to c, this will be just below c.

The_Duck said:
If the bystander uses his own ruler and his own clock, he measures a much smaller relative speed than 4 m/s.

It goes without saying here that a single observer with a ruler and a clock will not be able to come to these conclusions. He will need to establish his inertial frame first which applies to the various locations that the traveler will be moving through, encompassing the various events in this scenario. Such as by this method: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_synchronisation

Related to Adding Velocities: Newbie Question on Special Relativity

1. What is the concept of adding velocities in special relativity?

The concept of adding velocities in special relativity is based on the idea that the speed of light is constant in all reference frames. This means that the addition of velocities does not follow the simple addition of two speeds, but rather requires the use of the Lorentz transformation equations.

2. How is the Lorentz transformation equation used to add velocities?

The Lorentz transformation equation, also known as the velocity addition formula, is used to add velocities in special relativity. It takes into account the relative speeds of two objects moving in different reference frames and calculates their combined velocity.

3. Why is the concept of adding velocities important in special relativity?

The concept of adding velocities is important in special relativity because it helps us understand how objects move at speeds close to the speed of light. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations about how time, distance, and mass change at high velocities.

4. Can velocities be added in the same way in classical mechanics and special relativity?

No, velocities cannot be added in the same way in classical mechanics and special relativity. In classical mechanics, velocities are added by simple addition, while in special relativity, the Lorentz transformation equation must be used to account for the constant speed of light.

5. How does the concept of adding velocities relate to the theory of relativity?

The concept of adding velocities is a fundamental aspect of the theory of relativity. It helps us understand the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high velocities, as well as the concept of relative motion and the constant speed of light in all reference frames.