Adding KNO3 and seeing color change

In summary: This is why you see the color change as well - because you are adding a salt that increases the ionic strenght. However, the more important fact is that you start with a nitrate-containing compound, i.e., iron(III) nitrate. According to La Châtelier's principle, the equilibrium shifts to the right until the equilibrium is established again. That's why a more intense color is observed. The result is that more thiocyanate complex is formed.This is not only FeSCN2-, but every form up to Fe(SCN)6 3-.
bomba923
I have two aqueous solutions---Fe(III)(NO3)3 and KSCN (no precipitate in either, both are fully dissociated into ions). I react five drops of the ferric nitrate solution with one drop of KSCN (assume that we end up with excess Fe[3+])

The net ionic reaction Fe[3+] + SCN[-] (equilibrium arrows!) FeSCN[2-] forms a blood-red complex ion FeSCN[2-].

I add a small amount (10mg) KNO3 and observe a change (more brown or lighter red). Well, the equilibrium shifted;

Why do I notice a significant color change?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Adding KNO3 to the medium increases the ionic strength, so solubilities show a general lowering in value.

However, the more important fact is that you start with a nitrate-containing compound, i.e., iron(III) nitrate. According to La Châtelier's principle, the equilibrium shifts to the right until the equilibrium is established again. That's why a more intense color is observed. The result is that more thiocyanate complex is formed.

This is not only FeSCN2-, but every form up to Fe(SCN)6 3-.

Do you observe the same thing when adding other salts?

Fe3+ is slightly complexed by NO3- ions, you added them so perhaps more FeNO3 2+ complex is formed and less FeSCN2- is present. IIRC the latter has about 100 times larger stability constant, so there is a lrge difference in concentrations needed.

What were the starting concentrations of Fe(III)(NO3)3 and KSCN?

Chemical calculators for labs and education
BATE - pH calculations, titration curves, hydrolisis

Hello Gentlemen...

I 've this aqueous solution with probably it complex formed, but I would like to Know How could I to separate these ones salts?
Fe(NO3)3 + 3 KSCN -------> 3KNO3 +Fe(SCN)3

Paulo

K = [A]i[B ]j/[C]k[D]l , and concentration of A or B is increased?

It's been a year and a half since I started this thread
(alotropia_entropia, you may want to make a new thread...)

Last edited:
Ok Bomba I did it ...
Thanks

Hello I am doing the same lab. I have reacted KSCN with Fe(NO3)3, then after that I added NaF (sodium fluoride) and it turned colourless.

Why? What happened? How has the concentration of the complex ion or Fe(SCN)3 been affected?
The fluoride ions do not react directly with Fe(SCN)3 but they react with iron(III) ions to give colourless, soluble product. What does the effect of fluoride ions show about the reaction of iron(III) ions and thocyanate ions to form the complex?

Thanks.

You have two reactions in equilibrium - Fe/SCN and Fe/F.

Color disappears - what does it tell you about concentration of Fe/SCN complex?

Think in terms of Le Chatelier's principle - what has to happen to lower Fe/SCN complex concentration?

Wait, so NaF reacted with both Fe(NO3)3 and Fe(SCN)3 ?
F- ions displace both NO3- ions and SCN- ions? Or only SCN- ions?

I sort of get it now, the complex ion's concentration has decreased that's why it turned colourless, yeah?

You are right that concentration of complex decreased, but seems to me like you are missing something important. There is no Fe(NO3)3 in the solution - that was salt that was put in, but you can safely assume it was just dissociated. On the other hand, Fe/SCN complexes are real molecules/ions existing in the solution.

chem_tr said:
Adding KNO3 to the medium increases the ionic strength, so solubilities show a general lowering in value.
I knew that solubility increases when the ionic strenght increases.

Related to Adding KNO3 and seeing color change

1. How does adding KNO3 result in a color change?

When KNO3, also known as potassium nitrate, is added to a solution, it dissociates into potassium ions (K+) and nitrate ions (NO3-). These ions can interact with other substances in the solution, causing a chemical reaction that results in a color change. This reaction is known as a colorimetric reaction.

2. What causes the color change when adding KNO3?

The color change is caused by a chemical reaction between the ions in KNO3 and the substances in the solution. This reaction can produce new compounds with different colors, or change the arrangement of the molecules in the solution, resulting in a different color being observed.

3. Why is KNO3 commonly used in colorimetric reactions?

KNO3 is commonly used in colorimetric reactions because it is a strong oxidizing agent. This means that it can easily react with other substances, causing a color change. It is also stable and safe to handle, making it a convenient choice for scientific experiments.

4. Can different concentrations of KNO3 result in different color changes?

Yes, different concentrations of KNO3 can result in different color changes. This is because the amount of KNO3 added to the solution affects the number of ions available for the chemical reaction. A higher concentration of KNO3 can produce a more intense color change, while a lower concentration may result in a less noticeable color change.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using KNO3 in colorimetric reactions?

Yes, it is important to handle KNO3 with caution as it can be toxic if ingested or inhaled. It is also a strong oxidizing agent, so it should be stored away from flammable materials and handled with proper protective equipment. Additionally, proper disposal methods should be followed to avoid any harm to the environment.