Adding fractions and evaluating functions

In summary, you are asked to find the least common multiple of algebraic expressions, determine the conjugate of a given function, and determine whether a given relation is a function or not. For the first problem, the LCM is 15a^2b^2. For the second problem, the LCM is m^2n. In the third problem, multiply the expression by 1 in the form of [sqrt(x + h + 9) + sqrt(x+9)] over itself. In the fourth problem, the relation is not a function because for every value of x there are two possible values of y.
Jimmy84

Homework Statement

1.) (a + 3b) /3ab + (a^2 b - 4ab^2) / 5a^2b^2

2.) n/(m^2) + 3/mn + 2/m

3.) Given F(x) = square root of x + 9 determine F(x+h) - F(x)/h

4.) say whether or not {(x,y) l x= y^2} is a function.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

im having problems to find the least common multiple of the algebric expresions in the first two problems.

I think that on problem one the LCM is 15 a^2 b^2

I think that on the second problem the LCM is m^2 (mn) Is this right?

On problem 3 I don't know how to solve (square root of(x+h) +9 - square root of x+9)/ h

How can I solve that? should I use the square root's conjugate? and if so which is it?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're correct about the LCM for problem 1. Recheck what you got for problem 2. You are very close. You have an extra term in it.

Jimmy84 said:

Homework Statement

1.) (a + 3b) /3ab + (a^2 b - 4ab^2) / 5a^2b^2

2.) n/(m^2) + 3/mn + 2/m

3.) Given F(x) = square root of x + 9 determine F(x+h) - F(x)/h

4.) say whether or not {(x,y) l x= y^2} is a function.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

im having problems to find the least common multiple of the algebric expresions in the first two problems.

I think that on problem one the LCM is 15 a^2 b^2
Right
Jimmy84 said:
I think that on the second problem the LCM is m^2 (mn) Is this right?
That's not the least common multiple. The LCM is m2n. Notice that all three denominators divide this evenly.
Jimmy84 said:
On problem 3 I don't know how to solve (square root of(x+h) +9 - square root of x+9)/ h
Multiply by 1 in the form of the conjugate over itself. I can't tell you any more because what you wrote is ambiguous. Is it f(x) = sqrt(x + 9) or sqrt(x) + 9?
Jimmy84 said:
How can I solve that? should I use the square root's conjugate? and if so which is it?

Thanks a lot.
You didn't ask about 4, but you included it. Graph the relation. If it's a function, no two points will be on the same vertical line.

Mark44 said:
RightThat's not the least common multiple. The LCM is m2n. Notice that all three denominators divide this evenly.
Multiply by 1 in the form of the conjugate over itself. I can't tell you any more because what you wrote is ambiguous. Is it f(x) = sqrt(x + 9) or sqrt(x) + 9?

You didn't ask about 4, but you included it. Graph the relation. If it's a function, no two points will be on the same vertical line.

I ve done the first 2 problems.

On problem 3 I meant sqrt(x + 9) sorry.
Is the conjugate of problem 3 sqrt(x + h + 9) + sqrt(x+9) ?

on problem 4 I considered that x = y^2 could be seen as sqrt x = y which is a function however in the book it said that problem 4 wasent a function. So I am a bit confused about it.

For 3, multiply your expression by 1 in the form of [sqrt(x + h + 9) + sqrt(x+9)] over itself.

For 4, x = y2 <==> y = +/-sqrt(x). Now do you understand your book's answer?

Related to Adding fractions and evaluating functions

1. What is the process for adding fractions?

The process for adding fractions involves finding a common denominator, adding the numerators, and simplifying the resulting fraction if necessary.

2. Can fractions with different denominators be added?

Yes, fractions with different denominators can be added by first finding a common denominator. This can be done by finding the least common multiple of the denominators or by converting the fractions into equivalent fractions with a common denominator.

3. How do you evaluate a function?

To evaluate a function, you substitute the given value for the independent variable in the function and simplify the resulting expression.

4. Can fractions be added if they have different denominators and variables?

Yes, fractions with different denominators and variables can be added by first finding a common denominator and then simplifying the resulting fraction if necessary.

5. Why is it important to simplify fractions after adding them?

It is important to simplify fractions after adding them to get the most simplified and accurate answer. This also allows for easier comparison and calculation with other fractions.