Action (and the principle of least of which)

• Thread starter Ahmes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, Daniel is trying to understand how to derive the Euler-Lagrange equation from the principle of least action. He is confused because he can't understand why the variation of "Action" should be zero for the action itself to be minimal. He is also confused about why the delta should be used to derive a definite integral.
Ahmes
Hello,
I recently began an Analytical Mechanics course and find it impossible to understand how to derive Euler-Lagrange formula from the principle of least action.
There is actually one step I can't understand, how we get from:

I WOULD HAVE USED LaTeX HERE BUT IT'S NOT POSSIBLE TO SEE IT IN "PREVIEW POST"!
I DON'T TRUST I CAN SUBMIT WITHOUT ERRORS.

Can anyone look at the image and explain how they got to the expression below? and I'm not sure I know what exactly is the meaning of δ (delta that is)...
mechanics.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
When varying the action, you're varying the particle's path: [itex]q(t) \rightarrow q(t) + \delta q(t)[/itex]. The delta just denotes the difference beween the reference trajectory and the perturbed one. If the reference Lagrangian is [itex]L(q,\dot{q})[/itex], the perturbed one is obviously [itex]L(q + \delta q ,\dot{q}+ \delta \dot{q})[/itex]. The first order Taylor expansion of this is just
[tex]
L(q,\dot{q}) + \frac{ \partial L(q, \dot{q}) }{\partial q} \delta q + \frac{ \partial L(q, \dot{q}) }{\partial \dot{q} } \delta \dot{q}
[/tex]

[itex]\delta S[/itex] is the difference between the perturbed action (the time integral of the above equation) and the reference one, which is just the equation you're asking about.

Thank you! This was a huge leap in understanding.

Now, one importand thing remains: I can't see why the variation of "Action" should be zero for the action itself to be minimal.

I mean, the action is a definite integral (just a number). With respect to what do we want it to be minimal? time? path?
And after we decided that, is this "delta" the thing we use to derive a definite integral?

Thanks again.

This can be a little confusing. One way to understand it is to think of the definite integral as a function from the set of functions to the real numbers (also called a functional). With a normal function you plug in a number and get a number, but with a functional you plug in a function and get a number.

(Another way to think of this is that a function is like an infinite dimensional vector. Instead of n components, like a vector in n dimensional space would have, a function f(x) has a component for each point, which is just it's value at that point. Crudely, you could say the function f(x)=1 is like the vector (1,1,1,1,1,...). (this isn't really true since there are more points then you can list, even with dots at the end, but you get the idea). So then a functional is just a function from this infinite dimensional function space to the real numbers.)

Finding a path of extremal action is just finding a function (or a point in function space) that is an extreme value of the functional (the definite integral). This is fundamentally no different from finding the extreme values of a normal function. At these extrema, small changes in the function (corresponding to small displacements in function space), do not produce any first order change in the value of the integral. Loosely speaking, if you change the path a little, the action changes very little.

Last edited:
Ahmes said:
Hello,
Can anyone look at the image and explain how they got to the expression below? and I'm not sure I know what exactly is the meaning of δ (delta that is)...
The purpose is to find the difference of the path integral of the Lagrangian over two slightly different paths that begin and end on the same point.

[tex]S = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} L(x(t), \dot x(t))dt[/tex]

[tex]S' = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} L(x(t)+\epsilon, \dot x(t)+\dot{\epsilon})dt[/tex]

The difference is:

[tex]\delta S = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} L(x(t)+\epsilon, \dot x(t)+\dot{\epsilon})dt - L(x(t), \dot x(t))dt[/tex]

The integrand is just the partial derivative of L with respect to [itex]x [/itex] times [itex]\epsilon[/itex] plus the partial derivative of L with respect to [itex]\dot x[/itex] times [itex]\dot\epsilon[/itex]:

[tex]\delta S = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} \left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial x}\epsilon + \frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{x}}\dot{\epsilon}\right)dt[/tex]

AM

It would have been much simpler if that [itex] \delta [/itex] was the Gâteaux derivative... But I guess it isn't. It's something fishy and mathematically not accurate, i guess...

Daniel.

Related to Action (and the principle of least of which)

1. What is the principle of least action?

The principle of least action is a fundamental concept in physics that states that a physical system will take the path of least action when transitioning from one state to another. It is also known as the principle of least effort or the principle of least work.

2. How does the principle of least action relate to Newton's laws of motion?

The principle of least action is derived from the equations of motion in classical mechanics, which were first described by Isaac Newton. It can be seen as a more general and powerful version of Newton's laws, as it applies to all types of motion, not just the motion of objects in a gravitational field.

3. What is the significance of the principle of least action?

The principle of least action is significant because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of physical systems. It allows us to predict the path that a system will take, and it is also used in the development of fundamental theories such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

4. Can the principle of least action be applied to all physical systems?

The principle of least action can be applied to most physical systems, but there are some exceptions. In quantum mechanics, for example, the principle is modified to the principle of stationary action, which takes into account the probabilistic nature of quantum systems.

5. How is the principle of least action used in practical applications?

The principle of least action is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of efficient and stable control systems, the optimization of energy consumption, and the understanding of natural phenomena such as the motion of celestial bodies. It also plays a crucial role in theoretical physics, helping us to develop and test new theories and models of the universe.