Acquiring Data from a Digital Thermometer

In summary, the digital thermometer can be input to a computer for acquisition of the thermometer readout over time. There is another way to accomplish this without purchasing expensive software/hardware made specifically for this purpose.
Mirin
Let me preface this by saying that I know very little of circuitry, signals, etc. I have also Googled/searched the forum for help using keywords that are related to this project but also vague enough that I could not find any useful results.

I have a friend interested in how the temperature of a system changes over a long period of time with a time resolution such that it is impractical for her to record it manually. She has at her disposal a digital thermometer (see attached photo), Mac and/or Windows computers, and a limited amount of money to fund her project (within $100 or so). We are also both lightly experienced with soldering.

Is there any way to input the signal from this simple digital thermometer to a computer, then use the computer to acquire the thermometer readout automatically over time (such as with an Excel macro)? If not, is there another way to accomplish this without purchasing expensive software/hardware made specifically for this purpose?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMAG0595.jpg
    IMAG0595.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 463
Engineering news on Phys.org
You are better off just buying a logger. I think you can find one within your budget.

This little http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=OM-63&Nav=dase01 only cost $79 and has good Accuracy (±0.5°C) and Resolution (±0.01°C).

OM-63_l.jpg

The OM-63 portable temperature data logger is an easy-to-use, versatile device which can be used for a wide range of logging applications. The OM-63 is capable of sampling as fast as once per second or as slow as every 18 hours. A total of 43,344 temperature measurements can be stored in the data logger memory.

Easy-to-use Windows software is included with the OM-63. The software is a full-featured program that allows you to set up all data logger functions including sampling rate, logging duration, start mode, logging mode, and high and low temperature alarm values. Once data has been logged, the program then allows you to download data from the logger, plot the data and export the data to an ASCII text or Excel file format for further analysis.

I wasn't aware such gadgets were so cheap. Thank you for the input(s)!

Related to Acquiring Data from a Digital Thermometer

What is a digital thermometer?

A digital thermometer is a device used to measure temperature. Unlike traditional thermometers, which use a column of liquid to indicate temperature, digital thermometers use electronic sensors to provide a digital reading of the temperature.

How do you acquire data from a digital thermometer?

To acquire data from a digital thermometer, you simply need to turn it on and place it in the desired location. The thermometer will then display the current temperature on its digital screen. Some digital thermometers also have the capability to store previous temperature readings for later use.

What are the benefits of using a digital thermometer?

One of the main benefits of using a digital thermometer is its accuracy. Digital thermometers provide a more precise reading compared to traditional thermometers. They are also usually faster and easier to read, making them a popular choice in scientific experiments and medical settings.

Can a digital thermometer be used for different types of measurements?

Yes, a digital thermometer can be used for a variety of measurements, including body temperature, room temperature, and liquid temperature. Some digital thermometers even have the capability to measure both Celsius and Fahrenheit temperatures.

Are there any precautions to take when using a digital thermometer?

It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions when using a digital thermometer. Some models may require calibration before use or have certain limitations on where they can be used. It is also important to properly clean and sterilize the thermometer before and after each use to ensure accurate readings.