Acoustic Waves & Their Impact on Inflation: What You Need to Know

• B
  • Thread starter Discman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, there are two main points being discussed in this conversation. First, there is a discrepancy between the acoustic waves that started after inflation and the first perturbations that reentered the horizon after ±50,000 years. This also raises the question of how these perturbations are connected to the acoustic waves. Second, there is a comparison between baryonic acoustic oscillations and ripples from a rock in a pond. The origin of the acoustic waves and their synchronization is also being questioned. The expert clarifies that inflation generates perturbations of different scales and those that were subhorizon manifested acoustic oscillations while those that were superhorizon could not oscillate until the Hubble scale grew to enclose them. The expert
Discman
Acoustic waves started right after the end of inflation.
But on the other hand I always read that the first perturbations reentered the horizon after ±50.000 years.
These two fact I cannot cope. A reentering of perturbations at different times also don't go with the synchronicity of the waves.

So, what is in my thinking the big flaw.

Space news on Phys.org
There was not a single accoustic wave in the early universe, but, a multitude. Baryonic acoustic oscillations have been likened to the ripples from a rock tossed into a pond. In this case the rock is more like a handful of gravel.

What I mean: What is the connection between the acoustic waves right after inflation en the reentering of the primordial perturbations. I thought that these perturbations were the origin of the acoustic waves after they came under the influence of gravity.

Inflation generates perturbations across a wide range of scales, some with wavelengths that were subhorizon and some that were superhorizon after inflation ended. Those that were subhorizon manifested acoustic oscillations in the plasma, while those that were superhorizon could not oscillate until the Hubble scale grew to enclose them. Where did you read that the first perturbations enter only after 50,000 years? This is not something I've ever heard. And what do you mean by "synchronicity" of the waves? Perturbations on each scale are independently-evolving Fourier modes.

Thank you very much, now it is clear for me. Perhaps I read the 50.000 years in the wrong context. With synchronicity I mean the integer relationship.

Related to Acoustic Waves & Their Impact on Inflation: What You Need to Know

1. What are acoustic waves?

Acoustic waves are longitudinal mechanical waves that propagate through a medium, such as air or water, by compressing and expanding the particles of the medium. These waves are responsible for sound and can also be generated by other sources, such as explosions or vibrations.

2. How do acoustic waves impact inflation?

Acoustic waves have been found to have a significant impact on the inflationary period of the universe shortly after the Big Bang. These waves were generated by quantum fluctuations in the early universe and left their imprint on the cosmic microwave background radiation, providing evidence for the inflationary theory.

3. Can acoustic waves be detected?

Yes, acoustic waves can be detected using specialized equipment, such as microphones or seismometers. In the case of the cosmic microwave background radiation, scientists use telescopes and other instruments to detect the faint acoustic waves imprinted on the radiation.

4. How are acoustic waves studied in the context of inflation?

Scientists study acoustic waves in the context of inflation by analyzing data from the cosmic microwave background radiation and comparing it to theoretical predictions. They also use computer simulations and mathematical models to better understand the effects of acoustic waves during the inflationary period.

5. What is the significance of understanding acoustic waves in relation to inflation?

Understanding acoustic waves and their impact on inflation is crucial in validating the inflationary theory, which is a key component in our understanding of the early universe. It also sheds light on the fundamental physical processes that drove the rapid expansion of the universe and helps us better understand the origins of the universe.