Acoustic Frequency Hole - How does this work?

In summary, an acoustic frequency hole is a phenomenon where a specific range of frequencies is missing or reduced in an acoustic signal. It can occur naturally due to environmental factors or be intentionally created. Potential applications include noise cancellation, efficient sound systems, and medical treatments. While natural holes are generally not harmful, artificial holes should be used with caution. Scientists can study and manipulate them through experiments and advanced acoustic equipment.
SuperCass
Acoustic "Frequency Hole" -- How does this work?

Here is a project proposal that I read:
http://amasci.com/freenrg/audhole.html

I decided to give it a try and I made this project and it works.
But I don't seem to understand why and how this works. Can someone explain this phenomenon?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Bump!

Related to Acoustic Frequency Hole - How does this work?

What is an acoustic frequency hole?

An acoustic frequency hole is a phenomenon in which a specific range of frequencies is absent or significantly reduced in an acoustic signal. This can occur naturally or artificially, and can have a variety of causes.

How does an acoustic frequency hole occur?

An acoustic frequency hole can occur naturally due to environmental factors such as temperature, humidity, and atmospheric conditions. It can also be intentionally created through the use of acoustic filters or other sound manipulation techniques.

What are the potential applications of acoustic frequency holes?

Acoustic frequency holes have a wide range of potential applications. They can be used in noise cancellation technology, creating more efficient sound systems, and even in medical treatments such as ultrasound therapy.

Can acoustic frequency holes be harmful?

In most cases, acoustic frequency holes are not harmful and occur naturally without any negative effects. However, artificially created holes may have unintended consequences and should be used with caution.

How can scientists study and manipulate acoustic frequency holes?

Scientists can study acoustic frequency holes through various experiments and simulations. They can also manipulate and control the occurrence of acoustic frequency holes through the use of advanced acoustic equipment and techniques.