Accuracy Defined: What Does 10% Mean?

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of having 10% accuracy for a gun and the relationship between accuracy and the area the bullets spread. It is mentioned that 10% accuracy means only 10% of shots would hit the bulls-eye and the remaining 90% would hit somewhere in front of the gun. The conversation also touches upon the use of probability distributions to predict where the bullets will land and the complexity of determining the most accurate way to hit a target with multiple bullets.
sunmaggot
I want to ask a strange question. When the gun has 10% accuracy, what does 10% mean? I mean it doesn't really tell me anything. How large is the area the bullets spread if the gun has 10% accuracy? I have already attempted to find articles in google, and I still didn't get the answer about the relationship between spreading area and accuracy value.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect it is "meaningless number used by salespersons". In my opinion 10% accuracy would mean that with the gun in a vise (or whatever gunsmiths use), 10% of the shots would hit the bulls-eye. Which is pretty bad if you ask me.

Svein said:
I suspect it is "meaningless number used by salespersons". In my opinion 10% accuracy would mean that with the gun in a vise (or whatever gunsmiths use), 10% of the shots would hit the bulls-eye. Which is pretty bad if you ask me.
but my concern is about the remaining 90% shots, where will they land? any probability equations that can predict? thx

sunmaggot said:
but my concern is about the remaining 90% shots, where will they land? any probability equations that can predict? thx
Well, i assume they will hit something in front of the gun. You can assign any probability distribution you want, but it will be meaningless until you have data.

Last edited:
sunmaggot said:
I want to ask a strange question. When the gun has 10% accuracy, what does 10% mean? I mean it doesn't really tell me anything. How large is the area the bullets spread if the gun has 10% accuracy? I have already attempted to find articles in google, and I still didn't get the answer about the relationship between spreading area and accuracy value.

The usual measurement of gun accuracy is MOA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minute_of_arc#Firearms

Likes sunmaggot
Svein said:
Well, i assume they will hit something in front of the gun. You can any probability distribution you want, but it will be meaningless until you have data.
oh I see, what I was thinking about is way more complicated though. Say a gun can shoot 2 bullets at the same time, with what accuracy of the gun will it hit a target with area A in the most accurate manner. each bullet will go into the direction according to the probability. Any idea for this...? thx

Related to Accuracy Defined: What Does 10% Mean?

1. What does 10% accuracy mean?

10% accuracy means that the actual value of a measurement or calculation can deviate from the reported value by up to 10%. This means that the reported value is within 10% of the true value.

2. Why is it important to understand accuracy?

Understanding accuracy is important because it allows us to determine the reliability and validity of data. It helps us evaluate the precision and limitations of a measurement or calculation.

3. How is accuracy different from precision?

Accuracy refers to how close a measurement or calculation is to the true value, while precision refers to how close a series of measurements or calculations are to each other. A measurement can be precise but not accurate, or accurate but not precise.

4. Can accuracy be improved?

Yes, accuracy can be improved by using more precise instruments, calibrating instruments regularly, and reducing sources of error in the measurement or calculation process.

5. How is accuracy defined in different fields of study?

Accuracy may be defined differently in different fields of study, but the general concept remains the same. In fields such as science and engineering, accuracy is often defined as the percentage of error between the reported value and the true value. In fields such as statistics and market research, accuracy may refer to the level of confidence or margin of error in a data set.