Acceleration Lab: Homework Statement Analysis

In summary, the homework statement is that we allowed a cart to role down an incline plane and recorded the results with a ticker taper. My teacher asked me a couple of questions that I do not fully understand, but it seems that the velocity vs. time function should be (this was worked out with calculus), and the accepted values are a = ____________ mm/s v(0) = ____________ (accepted values). The measured values are a = ____________ mm/s v(0) = ____________ (measured values). What should v(0) actually be? I have no idea, but it is possible that the units are wrong and it is referring to the acceleration.
dranseth

Homework Statement

So basically we allowed a cart to role down an incline plane and we recorded the results with a ticker taper. Now there are a couple of questions that my teacher asked that I do not fully understand.

This entire section is a bit shady. I do not fully understand what the hell a represents?

Now, the actual velocity vs. time function should be (this was worked out with calculus):
v(t) = 331 t + 52 we'll call this the 'accepted value'
Remember that this is written in slope-intercept format, so the accepted values are:
a = ____________ mm/s v(0) = 52mm (accepted values)
Using the interval velocity vs. time graph, Excel worked out the velocity function as
v(t) = 326 t + 41 we'll call this the 'measured value'
Remember that this is written in slope-intercept format, so the measured values are:
a = ____________ mm/s v(0) = 41mm (measured values)
What should v(0) actually be? _______________

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea either, is it possible that the units are wrong and it is referring to the acceleration? You can tell that even though your acceleration is reasonably close, about a 2% fractional error by my mental math, that the value of v(0) is completely off, which probably indicates a launcher that launches different from what its predicted to do.

so would the acceleration just be the coefficient in front of the t (with possible wrong units?) Also, how would we indicate what the value of V(0) should be?

Yes, if a represents acceleration then it is the time derivative of velocity, and the coefficient in front of the t in this case. The value of v(0) is given to you as an accepted value, right? v(0) = 52mm/s. Ah man, I just noticed the units for v(0) are wrong too. Huh? Maybe metaphysics will provide the answer... *Click* Ums online has failed me for the last time.

Related to Acceleration Lab: Homework Statement Analysis

1. What is the purpose of an Acceleration Lab?

The purpose of an Acceleration Lab is to investigate and measure the acceleration of an object, which is the rate of change of its velocity over time. This lab allows scientists to better understand the concept of acceleration and how it relates to other physical quantities such as force and mass.

2. What are the key components of a homework statement for an Acceleration Lab?

The key components of a homework statement for an Acceleration Lab typically include the initial velocity of the object, the distance or displacement traveled, the time taken, and any other relevant details such as the mass of the object or the applied force. It may also include a diagram or scenario to help visualize the problem.

3. How do you analyze a homework statement for an Acceleration Lab?

To analyze a homework statement for an Acceleration Lab, you should first identify the given information and the unknown quantity that needs to be solved for. Then, you can use the equations of motion, such as the kinematic equations, to set up and solve the problem. It is also important to pay attention to the units of measurement and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

4. What is the importance of an Acceleration Lab in scientific research?

An Acceleration Lab is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to study and understand the behavior of objects in motion. This information can then be applied to real-world scenarios, such as designing safer transportation systems or predicting the trajectory of a projectile. It also helps to validate and refine existing theories and laws of physics.

5. What are some common sources of error in an Acceleration Lab?

Some common sources of error in an Acceleration Lab include human error in measuring and recording data, friction and air resistance affecting the motion of the object, and limitations of the equipment used. It is important for scientists to identify and address these sources of error to ensure accurate and reliable results.