Acceleration in terms of displacement

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity at x=3 and the time taken to travel between x=1 and x=3. The solution involves using the chain rule and integration to find the velocity function, and then using the given initial condition to determine the constant. Finally, the x(t) function is used to find the time taken to travel between the two points.
ykeyani

Homework Statement

a)find the velocity when x = 3, b)find the time taken to travel between x=1 to x=3.

when x = 1, v = 0

Homework Equations

a=2x

The Attempt at a Solution

a)using the chain rule I got v = 2x^2 + u (u as a constant), but I think that's wrong.
i tried using dx/dt = dv/dt * dx/dv
b)I integrated that with respect to time giving 3/16, but I think the solution there is wrong too.

I'm not really sure how to tackle this type of problem, and I'm pretty sure I'm missing something here, my book hasn't shown me any examples so far relating to this so I hope someone can help me, I'm a bit rubbish at calculus anyway and there's no answer in the back to guide me.

Physics news on Phys.org
It was a good start, but the result is not correct. The original differential equation is

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=2x[/tex]

which can be transformed to

[tex]\frac{dv}{dx}v=2x[/tex]

but the integration results in

[tex]v^2=2x^2+u[/tex].

Use the condition x=1, v= 0 to get u. (u=-2, so v^2=2(x^2-1). Then you can find v when x=3.

For question b, you need the x(t) function. v=dx/dt.

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=\sqrt{2(x^2-1)}\rightarrow \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\int_1^3{\frac{dx}{\sqrt{x^2-1}} = t[/tex].

ehild

thanks that was a big help for me, so I really appreciate it, I worked through it again and I understand it now.

Related to Acceleration in terms of displacement

What is acceleration in terms of displacement?

Acceleration in terms of displacement is a measure of how quickly an object's position changes over time. It is the rate at which an object's velocity changes.

How is acceleration in terms of displacement calculated?

Acceleration in terms of displacement can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it took for the change to occur. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What are the units for acceleration in terms of displacement?

The units for acceleration in terms of displacement are meters per second squared (m/s^2). This represents the change in velocity (m/s) over time (s).

How does acceleration in terms of displacement relate to distance and time?

Acceleration in terms of displacement is directly related to distance and time. As an object accelerates, it covers more distance in the same amount of time. The greater the acceleration, the greater the change in distance over time.

What is the difference between acceleration in terms of displacement and acceleration in terms of velocity?

Acceleration in terms of displacement measures the change in an object's position over time, while acceleration in terms of velocity measures the change in an object's speed over time. Acceleration in terms of displacement takes into account the direction of an object's motion, while acceleration in terms of velocity does not.