Acceleration in an elevator and Physical Laws

In summary: This experiment is measuring the acceleration of the elevator, not the force of the weight on the elevator.
Tomdoml

Homework Statement

I've gone out and measured my changing weight in an elevator using a bathroom scale, taking measurements each second, with the elevator ascending 4 storeys. I am wondering if it is possible to work out the acceleration of the elevator from these results, and if so how they relate to Newton's 2st and 3rd law.
e.g.1 mass = 75kg
mass inside elevator = 81kg
e.g.2 mass = 75kg
mass inside elevator = 70kg

Homework Equations

F=ma
g=9.8
Those should break down to give these?
F = m * (g + a)
a = F / m – g

The Attempt at a Solution

e.g.1 a = (81 * 9.8)N / 75kg – 9.8ms-2
a = 0.784ms-2 Upwards

e.g.2 a = (70 * 9.8)N / 75kg – 9.8ms-2
a = -0.653ms-2 Upwards

Physics news on Phys.org
HI Tomdoml, welcome to PF.
When the elevator is not moving the weight is
F1 = m*g. = 75 kg.wt.
When the lift is moving up, the weight is
F2 = m(g+a) = 81 kg.wt.
Now take the ratio and find the acceleration.

So would my attempted solutions be correct in determining the acceleration in the elevator?

Tomdoml said:
So would my attempted solutions be correct in determining the acceleration in the elevator?
Correct.

The one things confusing me in regards to this experiment is the effect that Newtons 3rd law has on the results. Since the elevator pushes me up, i push back down with equal force which is how i figure out the acceleration of the elevator, but if the forces were equal wouldn't that just result in the elevator not moving at all?

Last edited:
Tomdoml said:
The one think confusing me in regards to this experiment is the effect that Newtons 3rd law has on the results. Since the elevator pushes me up, i push back down with equal force which is how i figure out the acceleration of the elevator, but if the forces were equal wouldn't that just result in the elevator not moving at all?
The action and reactions equal and opposite, but they act on different objects

Related to Acceleration in an elevator and Physical Laws

1. What causes acceleration in an elevator?

The acceleration in an elevator is caused by the force of gravity acting on the elevator and its contents. As the elevator moves up or down, the force of gravity changes, resulting in a change in velocity and acceleration.

2. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration and velocity are both measurements of an object's motion, but they are not the same. Velocity is the rate at which an object changes its position, while acceleration is the rate at which an object changes its velocity. In other words, acceleration is the change in velocity over time.

3. How do physical laws apply to acceleration in an elevator?

Physical laws, such as Newton's laws of motion, apply to all forms of motion, including acceleration in an elevator. These laws describe the relationship between forces, mass, and acceleration, and can be used to predict and explain the movement of objects in an elevator.

4. Can an elevator experience negative acceleration?

Yes, an elevator can experience negative acceleration, also known as deceleration or negative g-forces. This occurs when the elevator is slowing down, such as when it reaches the desired floor and begins to stop.

5. How does the weight of an object change in an accelerating elevator?

The weight of an object in an elevator changes as the elevator accelerates. When the elevator is stationary or moving at a constant velocity, the weight of the object is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity. However, when the elevator is accelerating, the weight of the object will be greater or less depending on the direction of the acceleration.