Acceleration in a new Coordinate System - General Relativity

In summary, the Jacobian matrix and the parameter ξ represent a new coordinate system xµ' that is related to the original Cartesian coordinates xµ. The equation of motion in this new coordinate system can be written as ξ²xµ' + Γµ'ν'λ'ξxν'ξxλ' = 0, where Γµ'ν'λ' is known as the Christoffel symbol and can be computed. These extra terms in the equation of motion are referred to as "fictitious forces" and arise in an accelerated reference frame. To solve for xµ', the chain rule can be used to derive xµ' with respect to the parameter φ.
kent davidge

Homework Statement

Below: Jac = Jacobian matrix; ξ = d/dφ for some continuous parameter φ which labels different points on the worldline.

(I'm sorry for my poor English.)
Consider a new coordinate system xµ' which differs from the original Cartesian coordinate system xµ; the Cartesian coordinates xµ can be written as a function of these new coordinates xµ = xµ (xµ'). Show that the equation of motion can be written in these new xµ' coordinates as ξ²xµ' + Γµ'ν'λ'ξxν'ξxλ' = 0 for some Γµ'ν'λ' which you must compute; Γµ'ν'λ' is known as the Christoffel symbol. These extra Christoffel terms in the equation of motion can be thought of as ”fictitous forces” that arise in an accelerated reference frame.

Homework Equations

xµ' = Jac * xµ

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I've tried to solve this by deriving xµ' with respect to φ using the chain rule, but that did not work. Unfortunately I could not put my work here, but it was just what I said: I've used the chain rule to derive xµ' with respect to φ.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've tried to look up how to solve this but I could not find anything. It would be really nice if someone can help me out.

Related to Acceleration in a new Coordinate System - General Relativity

1. What is the concept of acceleration in general relativity?

In general relativity, acceleration is defined as the change in an object's velocity with respect to time and space. It takes into account the curvature of space-time and the gravitational effects of massive objects.

2. How does general relativity explain acceleration in a new coordinate system?

In general relativity, acceleration in a new coordinate system is explained by the principle of equivalence, which states that the effects of a gravitational field are equivalent to the effects of an accelerated frame of reference. This means that the laws of physics should be the same in all frames of reference, regardless of their acceleration.

3. Can acceleration be measured in a curved space-time?

Yes, acceleration can be measured in a curved space-time. In general relativity, acceleration is described as the change in an object's trajectory due to the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of massive objects.

4. How does acceleration affect time dilation in general relativity?

According to general relativity, acceleration can affect time dilation by causing a difference in the rate at which time passes for objects in different frames of reference. This is known as gravitational time dilation, and it occurs due to the curvature of space-time caused by massive objects.

5. Is acceleration in general relativity the same as acceleration in classical mechanics?

No, acceleration in general relativity is not the same as acceleration in classical mechanics. In classical mechanics, acceleration is defined as the change in an object's velocity with respect to time, while in general relativity, it takes into account the effects of gravity and the curvature of space-time.