Acceleration field, velocity field, pressure field

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of acceleration field, velocity field, and pressure field in the context of fluid mechanics. The speaker expresses a desire to learn more about these concepts and asks for recommendations for textbooks that explain them in a simple way. It is noted that these concepts are related to physics, not mathematics, but may require some background knowledge in vector calculus. The conversation also mentions an example from a calculus textbook that illustrates the concept of a velocity field.
mech-eng
I am not familiar with concepts of accelaration field, velocity field, pressure field. I have come up with them in the topic of fluid mechnanics called fluild kinematics. My mathematical background is poor. I would like to learn some information about this concepts. Surely they are mathematical concepts. What part of mathematics do they belong to? I think it is Vector Calculus. I will refresh my mathematical background as soon as possible as well.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
DrClaude said:
It's physics, not mathematics. First, you have to understand the concept of "field," see for instance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_(physics)

Do you know textbooks explaining this topic in most simple way ? What background does this topic require?

Thank you.

DrClaude said:

Yes, fluid mechanics texts I think do not cover but mentions this topic with some applications but they are not very instructive. I remember in Stewart Calculus there was an example probably under topic vector analysis but I do not remember chapter or sequence name. It was an example of a wheel as a velocity fields. The velocity vectors were growing when they were going away from the center.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am honestly having a hard time grasping what you are struggling with here. The concept of a field, be it pressure, velocity, acceleration, or anything else, does not require advanced calculus. It is simply some region in space where that quantity is defined (and usually varies) at a variety of points in space. Now, operating on that field is more of a vector calculus topic, but any fluid mechanics text worth its salt will talk about the material derivative, which is the primary tool you need.

Likes mech-eng

Related to Acceleration field, velocity field, pressure field

1. What is an acceleration field?

An acceleration field is a vector field that shows the magnitude and direction of acceleration at different points in space. It is represented by arrows, where the length of the arrow corresponds to the magnitude of acceleration and the direction of the arrow indicates the direction of acceleration.

2. How is a velocity field different from an acceleration field?

A velocity field is a vector field that shows the magnitude and direction of velocity at different points in space. While an acceleration field shows the change in velocity, a velocity field shows the actual velocity at a given point in space.

3. What is the significance of a pressure field?

A pressure field is a scalar field that shows the distribution of pressure at different points in space. It is important in fluid dynamics, where changes in pressure can lead to fluid flow and affect the behavior of objects in the fluid.

4. How are these fields related to each other?

Acceleration, velocity, and pressure fields are all interconnected and affect each other. Acceleration causes changes in velocity, which in turn can cause changes in pressure. These fields are used in various scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, to understand and analyze the behavior of fluids and objects in motion.

5. How are these fields measured and visualized?

These fields can be measured using various techniques, such as sensors and computer simulations. They can also be visualized using vector and scalar field plots, such as arrows and contour maps, respectively. These visualizations help scientists to better understand and analyze the behavior of these fields in different situations.