Accelerating Platform, Tilting Object

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the maximum acceleration of a platform that will not cause a cylindrical tin, full of water, to tilt. The dimensions of the tin are known, but the location of the fulcrum is uncertain. The approach of adding the acceleration of the platform and the gravitational acceleration is suggested. The coefficient of friction to stop the tin from sliding is also considered, with a high value of 1.9 being calculated. The possibility of two surfaces with high friction, such as velcro, is mentioned, with drag racer tires having even higher coefficients of friction up to 4.
Master J
A cylindrical tin, full of water, is sitting on a platform. What is the maximum acceleration of the platform that will not cause the can to tilt?

The dimensions of the tin are known.

I'm unsure how to approach the question first off. My reasoning so far has been along the line of this:

The force from the accelerating platform, ma, will tend to rotate the object, since it is asymetrical, it only acts on the bottom of the tin. But, where is the fulcrum? The tin is a symmetrical body, so should the fulcrum be in its centre? If that IS the case, should I look at moments etc?

Any way of enlightening me on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
One way you might think of this problem is that the acceleration a and the gravitational acceleration g, when added together, effectively tilt the direction of "down" -- down is the direction of the net acceleration. The question then becomes, how far over can you tilt the tin before its center of mass is no longer over its base?

Bingo...I had thought of that approach, wasnt too sure tho.

I get a coefficient of friction to stop it sliding also as 1.9...very high! Do materials have coefficients this high? I thought they were usually no greater than 1?

Master J said:
Bingo...I had thought of that approach, wasnt too sure tho.

I get a coefficient of friction to stop it sliding also as 1.9...very high! Do materials have coefficients this high? I thought they were usually no greater than 1?

Maybe it's actually glued down! I suppose that it's possible to have two surfaces that really grab each other -- take velcro as an extreme case.

Yea I guess so. Actually, looking here in the forums I see someone has mentioned drag racer tires having over 4!

Related to Accelerating Platform, Tilting Object

1. What is an accelerating platform?

An accelerating platform is a device that is used to increase the speed of an object in a controlled manner. It typically consists of a flat surface that can move at different speeds and is powered by a motor or other mechanism.

2. How does an accelerating platform work?

An accelerating platform works by applying a force to an object on its surface, causing it to accelerate. This force can be generated by a motor, pulley system, or other means. The platform itself may also be inclined or tilted to change the direction of the acceleration.

3. What is a tilting object?

A tilting object is an object that can change its orientation or angle with respect to a surface or axis. This can be done manually or through the use of a mechanism such as a rotating joint or hinge.

4. How does tilting affect an accelerating platform?

Tilting can affect an accelerating platform by changing the direction of the acceleration or by increasing the force applied to the object on the platform. It can also help to maintain the object in place as it accelerates, preventing it from sliding off the surface.

5. What are some applications of an accelerating platform with a tilting object?

An accelerating platform with a tilting object has many practical applications, such as in amusement park rides, flight simulators, and testing equipment for vehicles and other machines. It can also be used in scientific experiments to study the effects of acceleration and tilting on objects.