Accelerating a Car: Min Time to Reach Speed v

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum time it takes for a car to accelerate from rest to a speed v, given its mass and engine power. The solution involves using the equations P = W/t and F = ma, and ultimately concludes that the correct answer is t = mv^2/2P.
Kyoma

Homework Statement

A car of mass m has an engine which can deliver power P. What is the minimum time in which the car can be accelerated from rest to a speed v?

2. The attempt at a solution

P = W/t
(W is work done, t is time)

F = ma

So,
P = Fs/t
(F is force, s is distance)
P = mas/t
Making t as the subject,
t = mas/P
t = mv2/P

Is there any thing wrong with my final equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am missing a factor of 1/2. Probably you forgot to take an average somewhere...
An easier way might be from an energy consideration: the amount of work that the engine needs to do, is at least the added kinetic energy, right?

If I use kinetic energy, instead of work done,

then the equation becomes:

t = mv2/2P

Which is the correct answer then? And what factor 1/2?

Exactly. Note that there is an extra 2 in the denominator now. That's the factor of 1/2 I am talking about.

(By the way, it is not "instead of work done"... the kinetic energy is precisely the work done. You meant, "instead of forces" :))

Your final equation looks correct. However, it would be helpful to include units in your calculations to ensure accuracy and clarity. Additionally, you may want to consider discussing the concept of acceleration and how it relates to force and mass in your response. Overall, your solution provides a good understanding of the relationship between power, force, and time in accelerating a car.

Related to Accelerating a Car: Min Time to Reach Speed v

What factors affect the time it takes for a car to reach a specific speed?

The time it takes for a car to reach a specific speed is affected by several factors, including the car's weight, engine power, aerodynamics, road conditions, and the driver's skill in shifting gears and accelerating.

What is the minimum time it takes for a car to reach a certain speed?

The minimum time it takes for a car to reach a certain speed depends on the specific car and its capabilities. Generally, high-performance cars can reach higher speeds in a shorter amount of time compared to regular cars.

How can I decrease the time it takes for my car to reach a certain speed?

To decrease the time it takes for your car to reach a certain speed, you can try reducing the car's weight, increasing its engine power, improving its aerodynamics, and ensuring the road conditions are optimal. Additionally, practicing proper shifting and accelerating techniques can also help decrease the time.

Can weather conditions affect the time it takes for a car to accelerate?

Yes, weather conditions can affect the time it takes for a car to accelerate. Factors such as temperature, humidity, and air density can impact the car's engine performance and aerodynamics, ultimately affecting its acceleration time.

Is there a limit to how fast a car can accelerate?

Yes, there is a limit to how fast a car can accelerate. This limit is determined by the car's physical capabilities, such as its engine power and aerodynamics, as well as any external factors such as road conditions. Additionally, laws and regulations may also restrict the maximum acceleration speed for safety reasons.