AC Power and Combining Volt/Current

In summary, the teacher explains that because AC uses a single wire with a maximum voltage of 220V, we can use it to power an appliance that needs 660V by connecting the appliance to the three 220V wires. This allows us to only use a single return wire, which is less than the 3 incoming wires would require.
elink24

Homework Statement

One of the reasons we use AC power instead of DC is that with AC, we can use a single wire with a maximum voltage of 220V to return 660V. This is done by combining 3 lines of 220V into a single one. How can this be done without exceeding the wire's max voltage of 220V?

My teacher also added this to clarify, "Ha, I realized that I was thinking in European terms, where they use 220V. Anyway, suppose I have an appliance (like an AC) that needs 660V to run. I can run this by connecting 3 220V wires to it, just like you'd use 3 4V batteries to run something that needs 12V. Suppose each wire can hold a maximum of 10A, and that's what's going through the 3 incoming wires. Now, there is a trick I can use to only need a single return wire (as opposed to the 3 incoming wires), even though it seems it would have to carry 30A (which is more than it can hold). What is the trick?"

Homework Equations

My only thought was that one could use a transformer to take (incoming) 660V in 3 wires into 1 wire of 220V. But then would I have 3 turns on one end and one on the other?

[tex]\Delta[/tex]V2 = N2/N1 * [tex]\Delta[/tex]V1

The Attempt at a Solution

220V = x/3 * 660V
But then x=1 turn, and what current or voltage would it carry?

Physics news on Phys.org
elink24 said:
1One of the reasons we use AC power instead of DC is that with AC, we can use a single wire with a maximum voltage of 220V to return 660V.

Not really - the reason for using AC is that it is easier to step up/down voltages.

Anyway, suppose I have an appliance (like an AC) that needs 660V to run. I can run this by connecting 3 220V wires to it
No, the largest voltage difference between two 230V phases is 415v - I don't know where you get 660V from

Now, there is a trick I can use to only need a single return wire (as opposed to the 3 incoming wires), even though it seems it would have to carry 30A (which is more than it can hold). What is the trick?"
The trick is that the return line is at 0 volts, power flows back and forth through the live phases - in an ideal case there is no current in the return line.
Think of it has 2 batteries back-to-back both powering separate 1.5V lamps, you can connect the point between the two batteries to ground

The first and second paragraph look like 2 different questions. Which question are you answering? For example, first paragraph the wire has max voltage of 220V, but in second paragraph this new wire only has max current of 10A.

Edit, nevermind, hah.

Yes, I know it's confusing. The second part was an email from my teacher where he was trying to clarify the question for a student.

I got 660V because there is three wires each carrying 220V towards the appliance. So the return line would have no current, or no voltage? I guess I don't understand how a closed circuit could have part of the circuit at 0 volts.

Can anyone else help me with this problem?

Don't you hate Lex?

in case of a 3 wire system, the difference between the wire and ground is 220V. But the three wires have a phase difference of 60 degrees each. Hence, when u calculate the rms voltage between the wires, the difference is about 440V only. Here, no wires are joined to make one wire. There are 2 systems of connecting 3-phase supplies -Star and Delta. These links might help you better than me. http://eece.ksu.edu/~starret/581/3phase.html
http://www.animations.physics.unsw.edu.au/jw/power.html

Related to AC Power and Combining Volt/Current

1. What is AC power?

AC power, or alternating current power, is the type of electricity that is commonly used in households and industries. It is characterized by a constantly changing direction of flow, unlike DC (direct current) power which flows in one direction.

2. How is AC power generated?

AC power is generated by rotating coils within a magnetic field, which induces a current in the coils. This current alternates in direction, resulting in the production of AC power.

3. What is the difference between voltage and current?

Voltage is the measure of the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit, while current is the measure of the flow of electric charge. In simpler terms, voltage is the force that moves the electricity, while current is the actual movement of electricity.

4. How are voltage and current related?

Ohm's law states that voltage is directly proportional to current and inversely proportional to resistance. This means that when voltage increases, current also increases, and when resistance increases, current decreases.

5. How are voltage and current combined?

Voltage and current can be combined using a basic formula: power (in watts) = voltage (in volts) x current (in amps). This means that the power output of a device or circuit is determined by the voltage and current passing through it.