Abstract Math: Beyond Category Theory

In summary, category theory is considered extremely abstract and serves as a standard for measuring the level of abstraction in other branches of mathematics. Other examples of abstract branches include sheaf theory, cohomology theories, and algebraic geometry, but it is debatable whether they are more or less abstract than category theory. Logic and universal algebra are also considered highly abstract as they can be used to study other mathematical structures, with model theory being another example. Ultimately, the determination of what is considered "abstract" may require an abstract definition itself.
tgt
Category theory is considered extremely abstract. What are some other branches of mathematics which are considered as abstract or even more abstract then category theory?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't think I'm in a position to answer this fully. Things like sheaf theory, cohomology theories, algebraic geometry can be pretty abstract.. they use category theory to some extent, but I don't know if they're 'more abstract'. Logic seems to me to be on an equal footing with category theory in terms of how abstract it can get, but a logician might disagree. Universal algebra is another example, though I've never learned any.

I rather expect that, in order to determine which of "category theory", "set theory", "logic", or "universal algebra" are more or less abstract, you will need an abstract definition of "abstract"!

For ease of comparison, let's just have category theory as a standard for what is abstract.

How is logic up there with category theory?

If you take category theory as the standard then since nothing is more like category theory than category theory everything else falls a bit short. :smile:

I suppose I'd put logic up there because while you use e.g. set theory and category theory to study mathematical structures, logic can be used to study both of these theories (set theory is a branch of logic). Model theory is another branch which studies structures in a similar way to universal algebra. To me the study of different types of logic purely for their own sake is as abstruse as studying categories. Just my opinion though.

Related to Abstract Math: Beyond Category Theory

What is abstract math?

Abstract math is a branch of mathematics that focuses on studying structures and concepts rather than specific numbers or calculations. It involves using abstract objects and ideas to describe and understand various mathematical systems.

What is category theory?

Category theory is a branch of mathematics within abstract math that studies the relationships between different mathematical structures. It provides a way to compare and analyze mathematical concepts in a consistent and abstract manner.

What makes "Abstract Math: Beyond Category Theory" different from other branches of abstract math?

"Abstract Math: Beyond Category Theory" is a relatively new and emerging area of mathematics that goes beyond the traditional focus on category theory. It explores new and innovative ways to study mathematical structures and concepts, often incorporating tools and ideas from other fields such as computer science and physics.

What are some real-world applications of abstract math?

Abstract math has many practical applications, particularly in fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering. It can be used to study complex systems, develop algorithms, and model real-world phenomena. For example, abstract math is crucial in the development of artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms.

What skills are necessary to study "Abstract Math: Beyond Category Theory"?

To study "Abstract Math: Beyond Category Theory", a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in abstract algebra and category theory, is necessary. Additionally, strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and abstract reasoning skills are essential for understanding and applying the concepts in this field. Familiarity with computer programming and other tools used in mathematical research is also beneficial.