Abstract algebra, show that phi is a homomorphism

In summary: It can be a little awkward to express. Let's write down indices for everything we will need first. Suppose ##g_i##, ##g_j## and ##g_k## are any elements of your group. Then ##g_i g_j g_k=g_m## for some m. And ##g_j g_k=g_n## for some n. So then we also have ##g_i g_n=g_m##. Now you want to show ##\phi_{g_i g_j}(k)=\phi_{g_i}( \phi_{g_j}(k))##. Work out both sides. Start by telling
usn7564

Homework Statement

25ow3d4.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm very new to this kind of maths, so don't quite know how to get started. If I understood the question at all we have

[tex]g_i \mapsto \phi_i[/tex]

and so I have a homomorphism if I can show that

[tex] \pi(g \cdot g_i) = \pi(g) \circ \pi(g_i) [/tex]

I'm thinking it's trivially injective (might be way off here) because each g maps to a unique element in the symmetric group so there's not much to show.

But to show the homomorphism? Frankly don't have a clue
[tex] j = \phi_g (i)[/tex]
[tex]\pi(g \cdot g_i) = \pi(g_j) = \phi_{g_j}[/tex]

[tex]\pi(g) \circ \pi(g_i) = \phi_g \circ \phi_{g_i}[/tex]

and then I come to a halt. How do I approach this?

Physics news on Phys.org
usn7564 said:

Homework Statement

25ow3d4.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm very new to this kind of maths, so don't quite know how to get started. If I understood the question at all we have

[tex]g_i \mapsto \phi_i[/tex]

and so I have a homomorphism if I can show that

[tex] \pi(g \cdot g_i) = \pi(g) \circ \pi(g_i) [/tex]

I'm thinking it's trivially injective (might be way off here) because each g maps to a unique element in the symmetric group so there's not much to show.

But to show the homomorphism? Frankly don't have a clue
[tex] j = \phi_g (i)[/tex]
[tex]\pi(g \cdot g_i) = \pi(g_j) = \phi_{g_j}[/tex]

[tex]\pi(g) \circ \pi(g_i) = \phi_g \circ \phi_{g_i}[/tex]

and then I come to a halt. How do I approach this?
It is trivially injective, so I'll let you show that in all of its glory if you really want to.

If it's alright with you, I'm going to drop the multiplication signs and just juxtapose two elements to multiply them.

We wish to show that ##\phi_{gg_i}=\phi_g\phi_{g_i}=\phi_{g_j}## for ##g,g_i,g_j\in G##. Do you see how to continue?

Mandelbroth said:
It is trivially injective, so I'll let you show that in all of its glory if you really want to.

If it's alright with you, I'm going to drop the multiplication signs and just juxtapose two elements to multiply them.

We wish to show that ##\phi_{gg_i}=\phi_g\phi_{g_i}=\phi_{g_j}## for ##g,g_i,g_j\in G##. Do you see how to continue?
Not quite no, I mean I realize I have to find the connection between the expressions but don't know how to go about it. I'm assuming the j is a key here but as far as I can tell the permutation is more or less arbitrary so think I'm missing what information is entailed in the j.

usn7564 said:
Not quite no, I mean I realize I have to find the connection between the expressions but don't know how to go about it. I'm assuming the j is a key here but as far as I can tell the permutation is more or less arbitrary so think I'm missing what information is entailed in the j.

It can be a little awkward to express. Let's write down indices for everything we will need first. Suppose ##g_i##, ##g_j## and ##g_k## are any elements of your group. Then ##g_i g_j g_k=g_m## for some m. And ##g_j g_k=g_n## for some n. So then we also have ##g_i g_n=g_m##. Now you want to show ##\phi_{g_i g_j}(k)=\phi_{g_i}( \phi_{g_j}(k))##. Work out both sides. Start by telling me what ##\phi_{g_i g_j}(k)## is in terms of the indices we've defined. And showing it's injective is easy, but you do have to say why.

Last edited:

Related to Abstract algebra, show that phi is a homomorphism

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It deals with mathematical objects and their operations, rather than specific numbers and equations.

2. What is a homomorphism in abstract algebra?

In abstract algebra, a homomorphism is a function that preserves the algebraic structure between two mathematical objects. In other words, it maps elements from one algebraic structure to another while preserving their operations.

3. How is phi defined as a homomorphism?

Phi (Φ) is defined as a homomorphism if it satisfies the following properties:

• Φ(a * b) = Φ(a) * Φ(b) for all elements a and b in the domain of Φ
  • Φ(a + b) = Φ(a) + Φ(b) for all elements a and b in the domain of Φ

Essentially, this means that Φ preserves the operations of multiplication and addition between elements in the domain of Φ.

4. How do you show that phi is a homomorphism?

To show that phi is a homomorphism, you must demonstrate that it satisfies the two properties mentioned in the previous answer. This can be done by substituting elements from the domain of phi into the equations and showing that the resulting values are equal.

5. What is the significance of phi being a homomorphism in abstract algebra?

The fact that phi is a homomorphism allows for easier analysis and manipulation of algebraic structures. It also helps to establish relationships between different structures and aids in understanding their properties and behaviors.