Abstract Algebra: Homomorphism f Determined by f(1) in Z

In summary, the homomorphism f is completely determined by the single value f(1) in the case when R = Z.
oddiseas

Homework Statement

Let R be any ring and f:Z→R a homomorphism.

a)Show that f is completely determined by the single value f(1)
b)Determine all possible homomorphisms f in the case when R = Z.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This question has me totally confused. I have gone through all the properties of homororphisms in the book but i am still confused.How is the homomorphism completely determined by one value anyway?

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of homomorphism says that
[tex]f(n)=n f(1)[/tex]
and so knowledge of f(1) is enough to compute f for any integer.

To summarize the above: f(1) determines f for every integer because the integers are generated by 1. Have you made any progress on part b?

i can't find this property anywhere in my notes. Is this a property of homomorphismsm in general or only in the cas on the integers?

Apply the defining property of a homomorphism with the domain being the group of integers. Does that make sense?

If figuring out the entire homomorphism from the value of f(1) is too hard, then try something simpler. What is f(0)? f(2)?

but for a homomorphism we have:

f(n)=f(1*n)=f(1)*f(n)
thus f(1) =1
so how is it completeley determined by f(1), which is always one anyway, i thought it would therefore be totally determined by the domain, depending on whether in is integers or rational numbers etc

A ring has + as well as *, and the homomorphism must respect both. Use the fact that + is preserved as well to extract more information - such as f(2)

ok thanks, using the additive property i see now that we get f(n)=nf(1) and it is determuned by this value. Is it sufficient for part b to use the multiplicative property, and the fact that the identity in z is 1 and thus f(1) maps to 1 to show that the only homomorphism is the identity map.Or is there something more in depth i could do?

Related to Abstract Algebra: Homomorphism f Determined by f(1) in Z

What is Abstract Algebra?

Abstract Algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, fields, and vector spaces. It focuses on studying the properties and operations of these structures and their relationships with each other.

What is a Homomorphism in Abstract Algebra?

A homomorphism is a function that preserves the algebraic structure of a given algebraic system. In other words, it maps elements from one algebraic structure to another in a way that preserves the operations and properties of the structures.

How is a Homomorphism f Determined by f(1) in Z?

In Abstract Algebra, Z refers to the set of integers. A homomorphism f determined by f(1) in Z means that for any integer x, the value of f(x) is determined by the value of f(1) in Z. This is because f(1) is a generator of the group of integers, and the properties of a homomorphism require that f(1) be mapped to the identity element of the other group.

What are the Properties of a Homomorphism?

There are three main properties of a homomorphism: preservation of the identity element, preservation of the binary operation, and preservation of inverses. These properties ensure that the homomorphism preserves the algebraic structure of the original group when mapped to another group.

What are Some Applications of Homomorphisms in Abstract Algebra?

Homomorphisms have many practical applications in various fields, including coding theory, cryptography, and computer science. They are also used in abstract algebra to prove theorems and to study the properties of different algebraic structures.