Abstract Algebra: Finite Field

In summary: Just follow up on this hint:Now assuming you have a skew field with p+1 elements and that you want to show that the multiplication is commutative, all you need to do is look at the order of the group of units. In this case, the order uniquely determines the group.An interesting result is Wedderburn's little theorem. It states that every finite skew field (and more general: finite domain) is in fact commutative. What you need to prove in the OP is a special (and much easier) case for p+1.
S_Manifesto
Show that every finite field with p+1 elements, where p is a prime number, is commutative.

I know this has something to do with composite numbers, but I'm not quite sure how to show this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a friendly FYI that the term field usually refers to a commutative ring where every non-zero element is a unit. Some older texts use the term field to mean what nowadays would be called a division ring or skew field. For reference see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_(mathematics )

Now assuming you have a skew field with p+1 elements and that you want to show that the multiplication is commutative, all you need to do is look at the order of the group of units. In this case, the order uniquely determines the group.

Last edited by a moderator:
An interesting result is Wedderburn's little theorem. It states that every finite skew field (and more general: finite domain) is in fact commutative. What you need to prove in the OP is a special (and much easier) case for p+1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedderburn's_little_theorem

Sorry, I just wanted to mention this.

Maybe you can make use of thie following: Every finite field must consist of a prime-power number of elements, i.e. some number qn with a prime q and a positive integer n. (If you haven't seen this before, you might need to prove it before you use it.) What possibilities do have get if qn=p+1 with primes p and q?

Michael Redei said:
Maybe you can make use of thie following: Every finite field must consist of a prime-power number of elements, i.e. some number qn with a prime q and a positive integer n. (If you haven't seen this before, you might need to prove it before you use it.) What possibilities do have get if qn=p+1 with primes p and q?

I don't think you really need this in the proof. The reason is that you are working with a skew field and you need to show that it is a field. You don't know if your things are fields yet.

micromass said:
I don't think you really need this in the proof. The reason is that you are working with a skew field and you need to show that it is a field. You don't know if your things are fields yet.

I meant "field" to mean "commutative or non-commutative division ring", since I often work with "non-commutative fields". Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Michael Redei said:
I meant "field" to mean "commutative or non-commutative division ring", since I often work with "non-commutative fields". Sorry for the misunderstanding.

OK, but then showing that every finite field (commutative or noncommutative) has order [itex]p^n[/itex] is quite difficult to show. I think that result is actually quite a lot harder than the problem in the OP.

micromass said:
OK, but then showing that every finite field (commutative or noncommutative) has order [itex]p^n[/itex] is quite difficult to show.

Try proof by contradiction. If the skewfield F (I'll use that word if it's more common) has the order q, and q has more than one prime factor, it would have to be something like q = pp'r where p,p' are the smallest prime factors of q, and r is a positive integer. If for any integer n we write F(n)=(1+...+1) with n ones, we get

F(p) F(p') F(r) = F(pp'r) = 0

And so F(p)=0 in F, just like F(p')=0 (since F is a skewfield). But this means

0 = F(p) - F(p') = F(p-p'),

i.e. the order q of F must be divisible by p-p'. But that's impossible, since p and p' are the smallest divisors of q, and |p-p'| is less than both p and p'.

micromass said:
OK, but then showing that every finite field (commutative or noncommutative) has order [itex]p^n[/itex] is quite difficult to show. I think that result is actually quite a lot harder than the problem in the OP.
Maybe I'm being silly, but doesn't its prime ring have to be a field, and doesn't it have to be a vector space over it's prime ring?

Hmmm, so I guess it wasn't so difficult to show after all. I should have thought a bit about it before answering...

micromass said:
Hmmm, so I guess it wasn't so difficult to show after all. I should have thought a bit about it before answering...

None of what I have read has made sense...

S_Manifesto said:

Just follow up on this hint:
Now assuming you have a skew field with p+1 elements and that you want to show that the multiplication is commutative, all you need to do is look at the order of the group of units. In this case, the order uniquely determines the group.

S_Manifesto said:

What have you tried on your own so far? You wrote: "I know this has something to do with composite numbers". I suggested that a field's order must be a rather special kind of composite number, i.e. a prime power qn. Since your (skew)field is supposed to have p+1 elements with a prime p, you'll need qn=p+1. Do you know anything about prime numbers that you could use in this equation? (Hint: Is p odd or even? What about q?)

Michael Redei said:
I suggested that a field's order must be a rather special kind of composite number, i.e. a prime power qn. Since your (skew)field is supposed to have p+1 elements with a prime p, you'll need qn=p+1. Do you know anything about prime numbers that you could use in this equation? (Hint: Is p odd or even? What about q?)

I have not given this approach much thought, but this seems a whole lot more complicated than just showing that the group of units is abelian since it has prime order. Maybe I am missing something.

jgens said:
I have not given this approach much thought, but this seems a whole lot more complicated than just showing that the group of units is abelian since it has prime order. Maybe I am missing something.

Maybe we're both missing something. I don't think one needs the concept of a "unit" at all, since all non-zero elements of a skewfield are invertible anyway, so the group of all units is just the group of the p non-zero elements of the skewfield.

What really seems necessary, though, is the proof that a prime-order group is commutative.

Michael Redei said:
I don't think one needs the concept of a "unit" at all, since all non-zero elements of a skewfield are invertible anyway, so the group of all units is just the group of the p non-zero elements of the skewfield.

This is just a matter of taste. Group of units is just a concise way to describe the object I want to talk about.

What really seems necessary, though, is the proof that a prime-order group is commutative.

The proof is trivial. I would expect that most people in a course on elementary field theory / ring theory (as the OP seems to be) have seen enough group theory to know that prime order groups are abelian. But maybe not.

jgens said:
The proof is trivial. I would expect that most people in a course on elementary field theory / ring theory (as the OP seems to be) have seen enough group theory to know that prime order groups are abelian. But maybe not.

I agree. But that would mean the original problem was rather meaningless. It could even be answered quite simply by

If the skewfield has p+1 elements with a prime number p, then its multiplicative group has p elements and so must be commutative. D'uh.​

If there's any point at all to the original question, could it be something apart from what we both agree is trivial?

Related to Abstract Algebra: Finite Field

1. What is a finite field in abstract algebra?

A finite field is a mathematical structure that consists of a finite set of elements and two operations, addition and multiplication. It follows the axioms of a field, which means that the operations are commutative, associative, and distributive, and there exists an identity and inverse element for both operations.

2. How is a finite field different from a regular field?

A regular field, such as the real numbers, has infinitely many elements, whereas a finite field only has a finite number of elements. Additionally, in a finite field, the addition and multiplication operations are performed modulo a prime number, whereas in a regular field, the operations are performed on real numbers.

3. What are some applications of finite fields in real-world problems?

Finite fields have many applications in coding theory, cryptography, and error-correcting codes. They are also used in computer science, specifically in the design of efficient algorithms and data structures. Finite fields also have applications in physics, particularly in the study of Galois fields and quantum computing.

4. How do you determine the order of a finite field?

The order of a finite field is the number of elements in the field. It is determined by the characteristic of the field, which is the smallest positive integer such that when added to itself a certain number of times, it equals zero. The order of a finite field is a power of the characteristic, and the number of elements in the field is equal to the characteristic raised to the power of the field's dimension.

5. What is the importance of studying finite fields in abstract algebra?

Finite fields are a fundamental concept in abstract algebra and have applications in many areas of mathematics and science. Studying finite fields helps us understand the algebraic structures of other fields and can aid in solving complex problems in various fields. Additionally, finite fields have connections to other areas of mathematics, such as group theory and number theory, making them an important topic of study for mathematicians.