Abstract algebra: elements of fiber writable as

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a way to show that elements of a preimage, specifically the preimage above a chosen element, can be written as a given element of the preimage times an element of the kernel. The question asks if this can be done without using a certain theorem and requests help. A fellow member offers a solution by showing that this can be achieved through a simple manipulation of the given elements.
HJ Farnsworth
Greetings,

For a homomorphism [itex]\varphi[/itex], I'm trying to show that elements of a fiber, say the fiber above [itex]a[/itex], [itex]X_a[/itex], are writable as a given element of [itex]X_a[/itex] times an element of the kernel [itex]K[/itex]. So, if [itex]a\in X_a[/itex] and [itex]b\in X_a[/itex], then [itex]\exists k\in K[/itex] such that [itex]b=ak[/itex].

I want to do this without using the theorem that [itex]\{[/itex]left cosets of [itex]K[/itex] in [itex]G\} =G/K[/itex] - in fact, one of my motivations for looking for this is that I want a different proof of this theorem then the ones that I have seen.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Thanks for any help that you can give.

-HJ Farnsworth

Physics news on Phys.org
By fiber I assume you mean preimage, i.e. "the fiber above ##a##" means ##\varphi^{-1}(a)##.

Choose ##x,y \in \varphi^{-1}(a)##. We can always write ##x = y(y^{-1}x)##, so it suffices to show that ##y^{-1}x \in \ker \varphi##.

But this is easy: ##\varphi(y^{-1}x) = \varphi(y^{-1})\varphi(x) = \varphi(y)^{-1} \varphi(x) = a^{-1}a = 1##.

Hi jbunniii,

That is indeed what I mean by fiber. Thanks for the help, that was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for!

-HJ Farnsworth

Related to Abstract algebra: elements of fiber writable as

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields, by focusing on their abstract properties rather than specific numerical values. It deals with operations and structures that are applicable to a wide range of mathematical objects, making it a fundamental subject in mathematics.

2. What are elements in abstract algebra?

In abstract algebra, elements refer to the individual objects or entities that make up a given algebraic structure. These elements can represent a variety of mathematical objects, such as numbers, vectors, matrices, or polynomials, depending on the specific algebraic structure being studied.

3. What does it mean for an element to be writable as a fiber?

The concept of a "fiber" in abstract algebra is often used in the context of group theory. An element of a group is said to be writable as a fiber if it can be written as the result of applying a group operation to another element, known as the "generator". This concept is important in understanding the structure and properties of groups.

4. What makes an element "writable" in abstract algebra?

An element is considered writable in abstract algebra if it can be expressed as a combination of other elements or operations in a given algebraic structure. This can involve using various properties and rules of the structure, such as commutativity, associativity, and distributivity, to manipulate and transform the element into a desired form.

5. Why is understanding the elements of fiber important in abstract algebra?

The elements of fiber are crucial in abstract algebra because they play a key role in defining the structure and properties of algebraic structures. By studying the elements and how they interact with each other, we can gain a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and patterns that govern these structures, leading to important applications in other areas of mathematics and beyond.