Abstract Algebra, Division Ring question

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that R, a set of 2x2 matrices with specific elements, is a division ring if and only if a certain equation has only the trivial solution. The conversation mentions using the determinant and linear independence in the proof and acknowledges that R is a field without commutativity. The solution is not yet complete, as the conversation discusses being stuck on showing that the only rational solution to the equation is the trivial solution.
bailey89

Homework Statement

Let R = { [ a + b*sqrt(m) c + d*sqrt(m) ] }
[ n(c - d*sqrt(m)) a - b*sqrt(m) ]
(Sorry if the matrix is unclear... I can't get it space nicely. r11 = a + b*sqrt(m) r12 = c + d*sqrt(m)
r21 = n(c -d*sqrt(m)) and r22 = a-b*sqrt(m) )
where a, b, c, d are elements of the rationals, and m, n elements of the integers, m and n not zero.

Show R is a division Ring if and only if the equation x^2 - m*y - n*z^2 +m*n*t = 0 has no other rationals solution except x = y = z = t = 0 ( The trivial solution.)

Homework Equations

Going to use the determinant in the forward direction of the proof.
Possibly need linear independence.
A division Ring is simply a field without commutativity.( I know a lot of people call it a skew-field)

The Attempt at a Solution

(====>)
So i working on the forward direction and the only way R is a division ring if that matrix is invertible.
So the determinant of that matrix would be a^2 - m*b^2 - (n*c^2 -n*d^2*m).

So we have a^2 -m*b^2 -n*c^2 +n*m*d^2 = 0. So i set it equal to 0.
(that equation looks pretty similar to the one I need.) So i guess i need to show that
a = b = c = d = 0 is the only rational solution. It seems i need to show a,b,c,d are linearly independent maybe but I am stuck but I feel its so close to being finished.

(<===) So assume the equation x^2 - m*y - n*z^2 +m*n*t = 0 has only the trivial solution. So we have a linear combination set equal to zero and the only solution is the trivial solution right?
So i guess then x, y, z, t are linearly independent? I am not sure where this is going to get me to that R is a division Ring I am really completely stuck on this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea why no one is willing to help me with this problem I am extremely close.

Related to Abstract Algebra, Division Ring question

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of algebraic structures. It is concerned with the properties of mathematical objects such as groups, rings, and fields, rather than specific numbers or equations.

2. What is a division ring?

A division ring is a mathematical structure that is similar to a field, but does not necessarily have all the properties of a field. In a division ring, every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse, but the commutative property for multiplication may not hold.

3. How is a division ring different from a field?

A division ring differs from a field in that it does not necessarily have a commutative multiplication operation. This means that in a division ring, the order of multiplication matters, while in a field it does not.

4. What are some examples of division rings?

The most well-known example of a division ring is the set of quaternions, which are a type of number system that extends the complex numbers. Other examples include matrix rings and certain finite rings.

5. What is the importance of division rings in mathematics?

Division rings are important in mathematics because they provide a generalization of the concept of a field. They are also used in various areas of mathematics, including algebraic geometry, number theory, and physics. Additionally, the study of division rings helps to deepen our understanding of algebraic structures and their properties.