Abstract Algebra: book rankings.

In summary, the conversation is discussing ranking Abstract Algebra textbooks based on their level of rigor, transferability to applicable subjects, and pedagogical layout. The speaker mentions Fraleigh's book as a good undergraduate option with discussions of applications and Galois theory, but not the most rigorous. They also mention Contemporary Abstract Algebra by Gallian and Artin's first edition as other options.
Schild'sLadder
Could someone try to rank 'Abstract Algebra' textbooks, either undergraduate, or graduate level: By how rigorous they are, how they transfer to applicable subjects, and how well they're laid out, in a pedagogical manner.

Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

SL!

Physics news on Phys.org
This would only be reasonable if you listed a few Abstract Algebra books you are interested in first.

Further, what does 'how they transfer to applicable subjects' mean? How applicable it is to the grand structure of mathematics? Physics? Engineering? Chemistry?

I really liked Fraleigh's book, it had some nice discussions of applications in automata, and it finished with some stuff on Galois theory which was interesting (in the 6th edition). It's definitely pitched at the undergrad level (I was using it for my first year linear algebra and groups sequence in the UK) and it's not terribly difficult to get into for non-mathematicians as well.

I don't think it's the most rigorous book out there, but if you're not hugely comfortable with mathematical abstraction and proof it's a good way to ease into the subject. I was mainly reading it to reinforce lectures and to look up important results I needed for proofs though, so I didn't do many of the questions.

Contemporary Abstract Algebra by Gallian is a good start.

Related to Abstract Algebra: book rankings.

What is Abstract Algebra?

Abstract Algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It focuses on abstract concepts rather than specific numbers or geometric shapes.

Why is Abstract Algebra important?

Abstract Algebra is important because it provides a foundation for many advanced mathematical concepts and theories. It also has numerous applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering.

What are the main topics covered in an Abstract Algebra book?

The main topics covered in an Abstract Algebra book may include group theory, ring theory, field theory, linear algebra, and other related topics such as modules, vector spaces, and Galois theory.

What are some recommended books on Abstract Algebra?

Some recommended books on Abstract Algebra include "Abstract Algebra" by David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote, "A Book of Abstract Algebra" by Charles C. Pinter, and "Algebra: Chapter 0" by Paolo Aluffi. It is important to choose a book that matches your level of understanding and learning style.

Is prior knowledge of algebra necessary to understand Abstract Algebra?

Yes, prior knowledge of algebra is necessary to understand Abstract Algebra. A strong foundation in algebra, including topics such as equations, functions, and matrices, is essential for understanding the abstract concepts and techniques used in Abstract Algebra.