Absolute continuity, function of partition bound

In summary, we are given a bounded interval [a,b] and a function f in L^{p} ([a,b]) where p is greater than 1 and less than infinity. We define F(x) as the integral of f from a to x, where x is in [a,b]. We need to prove that there exists a constant K in the real numbers such that for any partition with a_{0} = x_{0} < x_{1} < ... < x_{n} = b, the sum of | F(x_{i+1}) -F(x_{i}) |^{p} over the absolute value of x_{i+1} - x_{i} divided by |x_{i+
SqueeSpleen
Given [itex][a,b][/itex] a bounded interval, and [itex]f \in L^{p} ([a,b]) 1 < p < \infty[/itex], we define:
[itex]F(x) = \displaystyle \int_{a}^{x} f(t) dt[/itex], [itex]x \in [a,b][/itex]
Prove that exists [itex]K \in R[/itex] such that for every partition:
[itex]a_{0} = x_{0} < x_{1} < ... < x_{n} = b[/itex] :
[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \frac{| F(x_{i+1}) - F(x_{i}) |^{p}}{|x_{i+1}-x_{i} |^{p-1}} \leq K[/itex]

I know that [itex]F(x)[/itex] is absolutely continuous and of bounded variation.

[itex]\frac{|F(x_{i+1}) - F(x_{i})|}{|x_{i+1} - x_{i}|} = F(\xi)[/itex] for some [itex]\xi \in [x_{i}, x_{i+1}][/itex] (Lagrange Intermediate Value Theorem)
Then
[itex]\frac{|F(x_{i+1}) - F(x_{i})|^{p}}{|x_{i+1} - x_{i}|^{p-1}} = f(\xi)^{p} (x_{i+1}-x_{i})[/itex]
As [itex]f \in L^{p}[/itex] when [itex]x_{i+1} \to x_{i}[/itex] [itex]f(x_{i+1}-x_{i})[/itex] when grows slower in some neighborhood of [itex]x_{i}[/itex] than [itex]\frac{1}{x_{i+1}-x_{i}}[/itex] because that function doesn't isn't [itex]L^{1}[/itex].
I was trying prove that the closenes of the [itex]x_{n}[/itex] can't make the sum diverges, and that neither the number of terms but I don't know how to approach all the issues at the same time.
When the partition norm tends to zero we got [itex]\displaystyle \int_{a}^{b} | f (t) |^{p} dt[/itex]
And when it doesn't I think that [itex](2M)^{p} (b-a)[/itex] where [itex]M[/itex] is the maximum of [itex]F(x)[/itex] with [itex]x \in [a,b][/itex] (which exists because [itex]F(x)[/itex] is continuous in that closed set).
So I guess [itex]K = (2M)^{p} (b-a) + \displaystyle \int_{a}^{b} | f (t) |^{p} dt [/itex] works
But I'm not sure how to prove it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got hung up when you wrote:

##\frac {F(x_{i+1} - F(x_i)|}{|x_{i+1} - x_i} = F(\zeta) ##... surely you mean ##F'(\zeta)## which would be ##f(\zeta)##.. From the next line I see you did mean that.

Sum up your ##f^p(\zeta)(x_{i+1} - x_i).## As the width of the partition goes to 0 you will have the Riemann integral of ##f^p##.

I think you have to show (or state) that if it is Riemann integrable then it is Lebesgue integrable.
Can you take it from there?

Related to Absolute continuity, function of partition bound

What is absolute continuity?

Absolute continuity is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two functions. It means that one function can be expressed as the integral of another function, and the second function is said to be absolutely continuous with respect to the first.

What does it mean for a function to be of partition bound?

A function is said to be of partition bound if it is bounded by a partition, or a set of points, on its domain. This means that the values of the function do not exceed a specific range on the interval defined by the partition.

What is the importance of absolute continuity in mathematics?

Absolute continuity is important in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, analysis, and measure theory. It allows for the definition and study of concepts such as the Lebesgue integral, which are essential in understanding the behavior and properties of functions.

How is absolute continuity related to differentiability?

Absolute continuity is closely related to differentiability. In fact, a differentiable function is always absolutely continuous. However, the converse is not always true. A function can be absolutely continuous without being differentiable at some points.

Can absolute continuity be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, absolute continuity can be extended to higher dimensions. In higher dimensions, absolute continuity is defined in terms of multivariate functions and integrals, and it follows similar principles as in one dimension.