Absolute Alcohol Vs. Absolute alcohol

In summary, an aqueous solution of ethanol produces a constant-boiling mixture called rectified spirit, which contains 95.6% ethanol and 4.4% water. This is known as an azeotrope. To prepare rectified spirit, the mixture of ethanol and water is repeatedly distilled until the azeotrope is formed. Absolute alcohol is prepared by heating rectified spirit under reflux over quicklime for 5-6 hours and then allowing it to stand for 12 hours before distillation. Quicklime is used to remove impurities from the solution. It reacts with water to form calcium hydroxide, which can then be removed through filtration. The book mentioned in this conversation is not specified.
Sam Morse
I read in a book that an aqueous solution of ethanol produces a constant-boiling mixture which contains 95.6% ethanol and 4.4% water. This is called rectified spirit.

I googled the word "constant-boiling" and I came to the conclusion that it's nothing but azeotrope. But it isn't clear to me how rectified spirit is prepared. Is it true that whatever volume of alcohol is taken in water, rectified spirit is formed?

Also, I would like to know how absolute alcohol is prepared and what it is. The book says that when rectified spirit is(? heated under reflux over quicklime ?)for about 5 to 6 hours and then allowed to stand for 12 hours, on distillation, pure alcohol is produced. What is heating under reflux over quicklime? I understand heating under reflux but what is the use of quicklime here ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Can you name that book(give page no. also)

Sam Morse said:
I googled the word "constant-boiling" and I came to the conclusion that it's nothing but azeotrope. But it isn't clear to me how rectified spirit is prepared. Is it true that whatever volume of alcohol is taken in water, rectified spirit is formed?

Not exactly. More like if you start with any mixture of water and ethanol, and you repeat the distillation many times, each next time distilling product of the previous distillation, you will end with the azeotrope. Actually there is no need for many distillations, one done with a column is enough (equivalent to many single step procedures).

Also, I would like to know how absolute alcohol is prepared and what it is. The book says that when rectified spirit is(? heated under reflux over quicklime ?)for about 5 to 6 hours and then allowed to stand for 12 hours, on distillation, pure alcohol is produced. What is heating under reflux over quicklime? I understand heating under reflux but what is the use of quicklime here ?

200px-Reflux_labled.svg.png

What is quicklime? What are its chemical properties? Especially in the context of water?

Related to Absolute Alcohol Vs. Absolute alcohol

1. What is the difference between absolute alcohol and absolute ethanol?

There is no difference between absolute alcohol and absolute ethanol. Both terms refer to the same substance, which is pure ethanol with no water content. The term "absolute alcohol" is commonly used in the United States, while "absolute ethanol" is more commonly used in Europe.

2. Why is absolute alcohol important in scientific research?

Absolute alcohol is important in scientific research because it is a highly pure form of ethanol, making it a reliable solvent for experiments and analysis. It is also commonly used as a disinfectant and preservative in laboratory settings.

3. How is absolute alcohol made?

Absolute alcohol is made through a process of distillation, which involves heating a fermented mixture of grains or fruits and collecting the resulting vapor. The vapor is then condensed into a liquid, which is then purified through multiple distillation processes to remove any water content.

4. Can absolute alcohol be consumed by humans?

No, absolute alcohol should not be consumed by humans. Its high purity makes it toxic to the body and can cause severe damage to the liver and other organs. It is typically denatured with additives to make it undrinkable.

5. How is the purity of absolute alcohol determined?

The purity of absolute alcohol is determined through various methods such as gas chromatography and titration. These processes measure the amount of impurities present in the alcohol, with a higher purity indicating a lower concentration of impurities.