About the photon exchange and the electromagnetic force

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of photons in electromagnetic interactions and how they are exchanged between particles. It is explained that the concept of emitting and receiving particles is not well-defined in relativistic quantum mechanics and that it is more accurate to think of the electromagnetic force as a superposition of infinite states of virtual photons. The concept of real photons is also discussed, with an example of their exchange in the case of radio antennas. It is noted that virtual photons are simply mathematical artifacts and do not actually exist. Finally, the question is posed about the role of photons in visible light and their potential for causing attraction or repulsion in objects.
tonyxon22
As many of you know better than me, photons are the carriers of the electromagnetic force, so they exchange is necessary for example in order to keep an electron around a proton in a hydrogen atom. So how does this work exactly? What is this “exchange”? In the mentioned system, which one of the two particles (if any) emits the photon and which one receives it? Why does that particle emitting a photon does not decay? Is it necessary that a constant exchange of many photons is made in order to keep the electron at that “orbit” or “state of energy” or “distance”? Is there an infinite flow of photons an all directions being emitted from the nucleus to catch the electron at whatever position it might be?
Thanks and best regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
This topic could actually be arbitrarily long. However, I'll try to answer even if I'm sure I'll leave many important aspects outside.
First of all, when you talk about exchange of photon between, for example, a proton and an electron, you are talking about virtual photons. In particular, this means that there is no such thing as an "emitting" and a "receiving" particle, especially because the meaning of future and past is not well defined anymore (everything must be covariant).
Now, from a "classical" point of view, i.e. if you want to talk about attractive/repulsive forces (which is a meaningless concept in relativistic quantum mechanics since everything is local) then you need to ask to youself: what configuration of single photons generates something that look like a classical electromagnetic field? It turns out that the configuration you are looking for is a coherent state of photons, i.e. an infinite superposition of states with different number of photons.

This is a very vast topic. I hope this answers, at least partially, your question.

Likes tonyxon22
It's way better to think about the electromagnetic interactions in terms of fields than to think in terms of a naive particle picture of photons. The Coulomb field is not described by a single-photon exchange but of a ladder resummation over virtual-soft-photon states, with the result that you can treat, in the non-relativistic limit, the interaction between an electron and a proton (to describe a hydrogen atom) as the electron moving in the Coulomb field of the proton and use the Dirac equation to get the energy eigenstates. On top you can then evaluate radiative QED corrections, leading to phenomena like the Lamb shift of the energy levels. This program has been performed up to the 4- or 5-loop order over the past decades (Kinoshita et al), and the agreement between the QED calculation and the measured Lamb shift is one of the most accurate results in both experimental und theoretical physics.

Likes bhobba
Ok for the moment I understand from both your answers that the electric field is not described by the exchange of photons but more like a superposition of infinite states of virtual photons. I don’t know the math but I can picture it in my head. Now, I don’t know if these questions are related to the original but these are doubts that appear in my mind after adapting to this new idea:

a) Can you name/explain a situation where there is an exchange of real (not virtual) photons?
b) Can the exchange of real photons cause electromagnetic attraction/repulsion? Can there be exchange of photons without electromagnetic attraction/repulsion?
c) Do the photons of, for example, visible light carry electromagnetic force? Are there imperceptible forces of attraction/repulsion in objects that get hit by light (visible or invisible)?
Thanks,

tonyxon22 said:
a) Can you name/explain a situation where there is an exchange of real (not virtual) photons?

Hmmmm. Maybe if you have two antennas where each receives the radio emissions of the other.

tonyxon22 said:
c) Do the photons of, for example, visible light carry electromagnetic force? Are there imperceptible forces of attraction/repulsion in objects that get hit by light (visible or invisible)?

Check out:
https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=2348

Note that virtual photons are simply artefacts of the mathematical methods called perturbation theory used - they don't really exist. If you do the math another way they don't even appear. Its associated with something called the Dyson series whose terms leads to what are called Feynman diagrams and are called virtual particles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feynman_diagram

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes tonyxon22

Related to About the photon exchange and the electromagnetic force

1. What is a photon exchange?

A photon exchange is a fundamental process in which a particle called a photon is emitted and absorbed between two charged particles. This exchange is responsible for the electromagnetic force, which is one of the four fundamental forces in the universe.

2. How does photon exchange contribute to the electromagnetic force?

Photon exchange is the mechanism through which charged particles interact with each other, creating the electromagnetic force. The exchange of photons between two charged particles creates a force that either attracts or repels them, depending on their charges.

3. Can photon exchange occur between particles with no charge?

No, photon exchange only occurs between particles with electric charge. This is because photons are the carriers of the electromagnetic force, and they only interact with charged particles.

4. Can the exchange of photons between particles be observed?

No, the exchange of photons between particles cannot be directly observed. However, the effects of this exchange, such as the attraction or repulsion of charged particles, can be observed and measured.

5. How does the strength of the electromagnetic force relate to photon exchange?

The strength of the electromagnetic force is directly proportional to the frequency and intensity of photon exchanges between particles. This means that the more photons are exchanged between particles, the stronger the electromagnetic force between them will be.