About the definition of discrete random variable

In summary, a discrete random variable takes on at most a finite number of values in every finite interval and cannot take on countably infinite values. It is different from discrete data, which can take on rational number values but will never have an infinite number of data points. A DRV may draw its values from a set of discrete data and is defined by assigning probabilities to specific outcomes. The definition of a DRV is not straightforward and may involve jump discontinuities in the cumulative distribution function.
Postante
About the definition of "discrete random variable"

Hogg and Craig stated that a discrete random variable takes on at most a finite number of values in every finite interval (“Introduction to Mathematical Statistics”, McMillan 3rd Ed, 1970, page 22).
This is in contrast with the assumption that discrete data can take on values that are countably infinite, in particular rational numbers (D.W. Gooch: “Encyclopedic Dictionary of Polymers”, App. E, page 980, Springer, 2nd Ed, 2010).
I would like to know if discrete random variables can – or can not – take on cuontably infinite values in a finite interval. Or, in other words, if the set of possible values of a discrete random variable may be the set of rational numbers.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

A DRV must be finite. You need to check the difference between a DRV and discrete data.

Notice - the set of rational numbers would be continuous rather than discrete but you can have discrete data that takes rational-number values.
However, you will never have an infinite number of those data points. The data set takes its values from a countably infinite set, it is not itself countably infinite.
A DRV may draw it's values from a set of discrete data. ie. it will always get it's values from a finite set.

To understand this - consider what sort of process generates discrete random data.
Also see:
http://www.stat.yale.edu/Courses/1997-98/101/ranvar.htm

Last edited:

Simon Bridge said:
A DRV must be finite. You need to check the difference between a DRV and discrete data.

Notice - the set of rational numbers would be continuous rather than discrete but you can have discrete data that takes rational-number values.
However, you will never have an infinite number of those data points. The data set _takes its values_ from a countably infinite set, it is not itself countably infinite.
A DRV may draw it's values from a set of discrete data. ie. it will always get it's values from a finite set.

To understand this - consider what sort of process generates discrete random data.
Also see:
http://www.stat.yale.edu/Courses/1997-98/101/ranvar.htm
I believe a RV taking only rational values would be discrete. I see the following quoted from Valerie J. Easton and John H. McColl's Statistics Glossary v1.1:
"A continuous random variable is not defined at specific values. Instead, it is defined over an interval of values."
A RV with countably many possible values must have defined probabilities at those values.

I don't see the relevance of your discussion of data sets to the OP.

Sure an RV taking rational values can be discrete.
OP brought up data sets in the original question with the reference to Gooch) though not in so many words. I'm not terribly happy with my attempt at a clarification of how Gooch and Hogg-n-Craig are not in conflict.

I like:
"A RV with countably many possible values must have defined probabilities at those values."
I had wondered if I should have included something like that - perhaps as a question:
... if a RV could take any rational number value in [0..1] then what would be the probability of getting a 0.5?

I suppose a better way to think of a DRV is that a probability can be assigned to particular outcomes.

An abstract from:
"pediaview.com/Probability_distributions"

... Equivalently to the above, a discrete random variable can be defined as a random variable whose cumulative distribution function (cdf) increases only by jump discontinuities—that is, its cdf increases only where it "jumps" to a higher value, and is constant between those jumps. The points where jumps occur are precisely the values which the random variable may take. The number of such jumps may be finite or countably infinite. The set of locations of such jumps need not be topologically discrete; for example, the cdf might jump at each rational number.

This means that the definition of DRV is not at all obvious!

Related to About the definition of discrete random variable

What is a discrete random variable?

A discrete random variable is a variable that can take on a countable number of values, with gaps between each value. It is often used to represent outcomes in a probability experiment.

How is a discrete random variable different from a continuous random variable?

A discrete random variable has a finite or countably infinite number of possible values, while a continuous random variable can take on any value within a given range. Additionally, a discrete random variable has gaps between each value, while a continuous random variable has an infinite number of possible values between any two values.

What is the probability distribution of a discrete random variable?

The probability distribution of a discrete random variable is a function that assigns a probability to each possible value of the variable. It can be represented in a table, graph, or formula.

What are some examples of discrete random variables?

Some examples of discrete random variables include the number of heads in a series of coin flips, the number of children in a family, and the number of defective items in a batch of products.

How is the expected value of a discrete random variable calculated?

The expected value of a discrete random variable is calculated by multiplying each possible value by its corresponding probability and then summing all of these products. This is also known as the mean or average of a discrete random variable.