About square summable sequences space

In summary, the conversation discusses disproving a Cauchy sequence by showing that the limit of the distance between consecutive terms is equal to zero. The conversation also includes a suggested example of a sequence that does not converge. Finally, the idea of a square summable sequence is mentioned.
antiņš
First, I'm sorry for my bad english.

Homework Statement

I need to disprove:
[tex](x_n) \in \ell^2[/tex] is a Cauchy sequence, if [tex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty} d(x_n, x_{n+1})=0[/tex].

Homework Equations

Ok, sequence is Cauchy sequence if [tex] \exists n_0 \; \forall p,q>0 \; d(x_p,x_q) \rightarrow 0 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Has someone idea about this? I tried 1/ln(x) and many examples like this one, but all this are wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
antiņš said:

Homework Statement

I need to disprove:
[tex](x_n) \in \ell^2[/tex] is a Cauchy sequence, if [tex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty} d(x_n, x_{n+1})=0[/tex].

Homework Equations

Ok, sequence is Cauchy sequence if [tex] \exists n_0 \; \forall p,q>0 \; d(x_p,x_q) \rightarrow 0 [/tex]
You mean [tex]\forall p,q> n_0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Has someone idea about this? I tried 1/ln(x) and many examples like this one, but all this are wrong.
Here's a hint: [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{n}[/tex] does not converge.

Your English is excellent. (Well, except for not capitalizing "English"!)

Of course, [tex]x_n=(1, \frac{1}{2}, ... , \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}})[/tex] is what I'm looking for. And this sequence is square summable because [tex]x_n[/tex] is finite.

Thanks! ^_^

Last edited:
antiņš said:

No worries mate, Latvians speak English well.

Related to About square summable sequences space

What is the "About square summable sequences space"?

The "About square summable sequences space" is a mathematical concept that refers to a specific vector space of sequences that have the property of being square summable. This means that the sum of the squares of the elements in the sequence is finite.

What are some applications of the "About square summable sequences space"?

The "About square summable sequences space" has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. For example, it is used in Fourier analysis to represent signals or functions as infinite sequences, and in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a physical system.

How is the "About square summable sequences space" different from other vector spaces?

The "About square summable sequences space" is different from other vector spaces because it has the additional property of square summability, which is not a requirement for other vector spaces. This property allows for a more refined and precise representation of sequences.

What is the norm associated with the "About square summable sequences space"?

The norm associated with the "About square summable sequences space" is the square root of the sum of the squares of the elements in the sequence. This norm is used to measure the distance between two sequences in the space and is a necessary component for defining convergent and Cauchy sequences.

Can any sequence be a member of the "About square summable sequences space"?

No, not all sequences can be members of the "About square summable sequences space". Only sequences that have the property of being square summable, which means that the sum of the squares of the elements in the sequence is finite, can be considered as members of this space.