About interchange phase of identical particles in Weinberg's QFT book

In summary: Besides, I can't see another way to incorporate Pauli exclusion except...assuming that the particles are fermions, exchanging them also results in their momenta being mixed.
kof9595995
In Weinberg's textbook on QFT(google book preview), he discussed the phase acquired after interchanging particle labels in the last paragraph of page 171 and the footnote of page 172. It seems he's suggesting interchanging particles of same species but different spin states will only bring a phase determined by convention, that is, the phase does not have to be ±1. I'm having a hard time understanding this, because I was taught that interchange of identical particles must give a phase of ±1 and took it for granted. Besides, for fermions antisymmetry seems to be an inevitable consequence of Pauli exclusion principle:
Exclusion principle tells us the square of a fermion creation or annihilation operator must be zero, so [itex]a^2_m=0,\ a^2_n=0,\ (a_m+a_n)^2=0[/itex](assuming no superselection rule on m, n so that the 3rd operator is well defined), and we can easily see this implies [itex]a_ma_n+a_na_m=0[/itex]
Is Weinberg actually treating particles of same species but different spin states as distinguishable particles? If so can I take it further and conclude particles of same species, same spin states but different momenta are also distinguishable, so that the interchange phase is also conventional?
Cross-posted:http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...-of-identical-particles-in-weinbergs-qft-book

Physics news on Phys.org
hi kof9595995! :smile:

(weinberg's qtf is viewable online at http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...a=X&ei=8A0qUam7CeqO0AWZnYGYDg&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAA )
kof9595995 said:
Is Weinberg actually treating particles of same species but different spin states as distinguishable particles?

yes

his argument (last two sentences of p171, and first two of p172) that phase2 = 1 (so phase = ±1) relies on interchange of two particles resulting in the same (ie "physically indistinguishable") state, so everything must be the same

the argument does not work if eg the spins are different, and then it is only "convenient" (not necessary) to adopt the usual convention (because it conveniently fits in with rotational invariance :wink:)
If so can I take it further and conclude particles of same species, same spin states but different momenta are also distinguishable, so that the interchange phase is also conventional?

i think so … in that case, it is convenient to adopt the usual convention because it conveniently fits in with lorentz invariance
Exclusion principle tells us the square of a fermion creation or annihilation operator must be zero, so [itex]a^2_m=0,\ a^2_n=0,\ (a_m+a_n)^2=0[/itex](assuming no superselection rule on m, n so that the 3rd operator is well defined), and we can easily see this implies [itex]a_ma_n+a_na_m=0[/itex]

are we allowed to add creation operators? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
Why not, say if m means spin up and n means spin down, the sum is just another creation operator which creates a state of superposition of spin up and down.
tiny-tim said:
his argument (last two sentences of p171, and first two of p172) that phase2 = 1 (so phase = ±1) relies on interchange of two particles resulting in the same (ie "physically indistinguishable") state, so everything must be the same
Then for fermions I doubt if this argument is still applicable since we have Pauli exclusion, which does not allow the existence of such states in the first place.
tiny-tim said:
and then it is only "convenient" (not necessary) to adopt the usual convention (because it conveniently fits in with rotational invariance :wink:)
I'd like to see why this is really nice for rotational invariance, my best guess is it has something to do with the phase acquired after rotation, but I don't see a concrete connection between these two types of phases(i.e. interchange and rotation)

tiny-tim said:

kof9595995 said:
Why not, say if m means spin up and n means spin down, the sum is just another creation operator which creates a state of superposition of spin up and down.

but creation operators aren't even defined until p173 …

and the formula aa = 0 (for fermions) in (4.2.7) comes from (4.1.6), which in turn assumes that we have normalised the phase factors as ±1

if the phase factors are a general e, then (4.1.6) would have to be adjusted, and your proof would no longer work

tiny-tim said:
but creation operators aren't even defined until p173 …

and the formula aa = 0 (for fermions) in (4.2.7) comes from (4.1.6), which in turn assumes that we have normalised the phase factors as ±1

if the phase factors are a general e, then (4.1.6) would have to be adjusted, and your proof would no longer work

Even if the phase is e, then interchanging two indistinguishable particles will give us [itex]a_n^2=e^{i\theta}a_n^2[/itex], which again implies [itex]a_n^2=0[/itex] as long as [itex]e^{i\theta}\neq1[/itex], and then by the argument in my original post, the phase has to be -1. Besides, I can't see another way to incorporate Pauli exclusion except [itex]a_n^2=0[/itex]

but the argument relies on (4.1.6) …

what would (4.1.6) have to be changed to if the phase was e ?

Related to About interchange phase of identical particles in Weinberg's QFT book

1. What is the interchange phase of identical particles?

The interchange phase of identical particles is a mathematical concept in quantum field theory that describes the effect of swapping identical particles within a system. It is represented by a complex number that accounts for the indistinguishability of identical particles and is crucial in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

2. How is the interchange phase calculated in Weinberg's QFT book?

In Weinberg's QFT book, the interchange phase is calculated using the permutation operator, which represents the swapping of identical particles. The interchange phase is then obtained by taking the determinant of the permutation operator and raising it to the power of -1, resulting in a complex number that represents the overall effect of the particle swap.

3. Why is the interchange phase important in quantum field theory?

The interchange phase is important in quantum field theory as it is a fundamental concept that explains the behavior of identical particles in quantum systems. It is used to calculate scattering amplitudes and is crucial in understanding phenomena such as interference and entanglement.

4. Are there any experimental observations of the interchange phase?

There have been several experiments that have indirectly observed the effects of the interchange phase, such as the Hanbury Brown and Twiss effect in photon correlation measurements and the fractional quantum Hall effect in electronic systems. However, direct observation of the interchange phase is still a challenge due to the complex mathematical calculations involved.

5. How does the interchange phase differ from the exchange symmetry of identical particles?

The interchange phase and exchange symmetry are closely related concepts, but they are not the same. The exchange symmetry refers to the property that identical particles are indistinguishable and cannot be identified as separate entities. The interchange phase, on the other hand, is a mathematical representation of this exchange symmetry and describes the overall effect of swapping identical particles within a system.