Abaqus FEA: What do e11, e22 and e33 stand for?

In summary, the speaker is new to Abaqus and FEA and has been asked by their professor to do a simple analysis on a beam using Abaqus. They have completed most of the requested tasks but are confused about some notations in the results, specifically e11, e22, e33 and u11, u22, u33. The speaker suggests that e11, e22, and e33 may refer to volumetric strain terms and proposes that u11, u22, u33 could possibly be a displacement tensor, but is unsure.
ramzerimar
I'm new to Abaqus and FEA in general, but my professor asked the class to do a simple analysis on a beam using Abaqus, just to introduce us into FEA methods. I've managed to do almost everything he asked for, but I'm confused about some notations when I get the results. I understand that s11, s22 and s33 are the stress components in the X, Y and Z directions, but what about e11, e22 and e33 - and u11, u22 and u33, by the way?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am not an Abaqus user, but I think e11, e22, and e33 refer to the volumetric strain terms. Not sure about the u11, u22, u33 terms, maybe a displacement tensor?

Related to Abaqus FEA: What do e11, e22 and e33 stand for?

1. What is Abaqus FEA?

Abaqus FEA (Finite Element Analysis) is a software suite used for computer-aided engineering simulations, specifically for structural and thermal analysis.

2. What is the meaning of e11, e22, and e33 in Abaqus FEA?

In Abaqus FEA, e11, e22, and e33 refer to the three principal components of strain in a three-dimensional stress state. These values represent the deformation of an object in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.

3. How are e11, e22, and e33 calculated in Abaqus FEA?

In Abaqus FEA, e11, e22, and e33 are calculated based on the displacement and strain values of the finite elements used in the simulation. The software uses the principle of virtual work to determine the strain values at each element.

4. What is the significance of e11, e22, and e33 in Abaqus FEA?

These strain components are important for understanding the behavior of a structure under different loading conditions. They can be used to analyze the stress and deformation of a component, and can also help identify potential failure points.

5. Can e11, e22, and e33 values be modified in Abaqus FEA?

Yes, the values of e11, e22, and e33 can be modified in Abaqus FEA by changing the material properties or applying different boundary conditions. This allows for the simulation of various scenarios and helps in optimizing the design of a structure.