A wheel rolling on a horizontal flat or inclined surface

In summary, a wheel rolling on a horizontal flat surface at a constant velocity does not experience friction force because there is no net force acting on the wheel. However, on an inclined surface, the wheel does experience a friction force in order to maintain a constant velocity. This friction force is necessary for the wheel to roll without slipping. Additionally, pre-spinning wheels on aircraft to reduce wear and tear from friction has been proposed but not implemented due to the extra weight it would add. When considering torque, the maximum friction force on an inclined surface would be μmgcos(angle) = mgsin(angle). In the case of acceleration, friction may be the larger force if the wheel is accelerating up the slope or accelerating down the slope at a high
Yam

Homework Statement

A wheel rolling on a horizontal flat surface at a constant velocity experiences no friction force. Why?
A wheel rolling on an inclined surface at a constant velocity experiences friction force.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A wheel rolling on a horizontal flat surface at a constant velocity experiences no friction force. I don't quite understand why there isn't any friction, i understand that the point of contact between the wheel and the surface has a velocity of zero, so it is considered not moving and thus there isn't any friction. However, doesn't it apply to the wheel on an inclined surface?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yam said:
A wheel rolling on a horizontal flat surface at a constant velocity experiences no friction force. I don't quite understand why there isn't any friction, i understand that the point of contact between the wheel and the surface has a velocity of zero, so it is considered not moving and thus there isn't any friction.

There is certainly a static frictional force on a wheel that is rolling smoothly at a constant velocity. Otherwise it wouldn't be rolling.

AlephNumbers said:
There is certainly a static frictional force on a wheel that is rolling at a constant velocity. Otherwise it wouldn't be rolling.
I'll have to disagree with you on this one. Once the wheel is rolling there is no net force on the wheel if it rolls with constant velocity . Certainly static friction is required to get the wheel to roll, but not required once it is rolling. I am, of course, referring to an ideal case.

brainpushups said:
static friction is required to get the wheel to roll, but not required once it is rolling
Yes i understand this point, but i still don't quite understand why you have friction on an inclined plane, also what kind of friction is it?

brainpushups said:
Once the wheel is rolling there is no net force on the wheel if it rolls with constant velocity . Certainly static friction is required to get the wheel to roll, but not required once it is rolling. I am, of course, referring to an ideal case.

I think that just because there is no net force, that does not mean that there are no forces acting on the wheel.

brainpushups said:
Certainly static friction is required to get the wheel to roll
Even that is not strictly true. Many aircraft pre-spin their wheels for landing to reduce wear. If they happen to get it just right, there's no frictional force needed.
Yam said:
Yes i understand this point, but i still don't quite understand why you have friction on an inclined plane, also what kind of friction is it?
It says "inclined surface at a constant velocity". How that is achieved is not stated, but whatever the means there's no acceleration. Given that gravity will have a downslope component, something must oppose that.

I made a mistake with my post.

A wheel rolling on a surface with constant acceleration experiences frictional force.

I kind of understand why.

A wheel rolling on a horizontal flat surface at a constant speed means that the wheel is pure rolling without slipping. There is no translational force present and thus there will be no friction even on the roughest surface.

On the other hand, a wheel undergoing constant acccleration means that it is undergoing up the incline with pure rolling without slipping. The maximum force of friction acting against the wheel will be mgsin(angle of incline)

Do you guys think that i am right?

AlephNumbers said:
I think that just because there is no net force, that does not mean that there are no forces acting on the wheel.
If it's rolling on a horizontal surface at constant velocity there's no net horizontal force. If there's a frictional force it will be horizontal. What is going to balance that?

haruspex said:
Even that is not strictly true. Many aircraft pre-spin their wheels for landing to reduce wear. If they happen to get it just right, there's no frictional force needed.

This got me interested. How does pre-spinnign their wheel reduce wear and tear from friction?

Yam said:
This got me interested. How does pre-spinnign their wheel reduce wear and tear from friction?
Actually I just checked my claim and found that this has been proposed many times, but not implemented. Seems the extra weight of the means to do it is not justified.

Yam said:
a wheel undergoing constant acceleration means that it is undergoing up the incline with pure rolling without slipping.
Couldn't parse that. You don't know whether it's uphill or down.
It may be clearer/more general to think in terms of torque. If the wheel is rolling and accelerating then it has angular acceleration. That requires a torque, and friction is the only force that has a moment about the wheel's centre.
Yam said:
The maximum force of friction acting against the wheel will be mgsin(angle of incline)
You left out ##\mu##.

hmmm.. i don't understand, wouldn't maximum friction be when

μmgcos(angle) = mgsin(angle) ?

Yam said:
hmmm.. i don't understand, wouldn't maximum friction be when

μmgcos(angle) = mgsin(angle) ?
OK, I see - I didn't notice you put sin, not cos.
So I change my response to:
Parallel to the slope there are two forces, mgsin(angle) and friction. If there's no acceleration then they're equal and opposite. If accelerating up slope then friction must be the larger. Friction may also be the larger if accelerating downslope very fast (faster than it would slide with smooth contact).

haruspex said:
Parallel to the slope there are two forces, mgsin(angle) and friction. If there's no acceleration then they're equal and opposite. If accelerating up slope then friction must be the larger. Friction may also be the larger if accelerating downslope very fast (faster than it would slide with smooth contact).
Thanks for pointing this out! cheers!

Related to A wheel rolling on a horizontal flat or inclined surface

1. How does the angle of inclination affect the motion of a wheel rolling on a surface?

The angle of inclination, also known as the slope or incline, directly affects the motion of a wheel rolling on a surface. As the angle of inclination increases, the force of gravity pulling the wheel downwards also increases, causing the wheel to accelerate at a faster rate. This means that the steeper the incline, the faster the wheel will roll.

2. What factors determine the speed of a wheel rolling on a horizontal surface?

The speed of a wheel rolling on a horizontal surface is determined by several factors. These include the diameter of the wheel, the amount of friction between the wheel and the surface, and the initial force applied to the wheel. Additionally, the weight and shape of the wheel can also affect its speed.

3. Can a wheel roll indefinitely on a horizontal surface?

No, a wheel cannot roll indefinitely on a horizontal surface. This is because the wheel experiences friction from the surface, which gradually slows down its motion. Eventually, the wheel will come to a stop unless an external force is applied to keep it in motion.

4. How does the mass of a wheel affect its rolling motion on an inclined surface?

The mass of a wheel does not significantly affect its rolling motion on an inclined surface. As long as the wheel has enough mass to overcome the force of friction and gravity, its motion will be determined by the angle of inclination and the initial force applied to it.

5. What is the difference between a wheel rolling on a horizontal surface and a wheel rolling on an inclined surface?

The main difference between a wheel rolling on a horizontal surface and a wheel rolling on an inclined surface is the presence of an incline. This incline changes the forces acting on the wheel, causing it to accelerate or decelerate at a different rate compared to a horizontal surface. In addition, the angle of inclination can also affect the path and speed of the rolling wheel.