A Weekend with Chris McKay: NASA Scientist

In summary: I'll definitely be asking him about that tomorrow! In summary, Chris McKay is an expert on the atmospheric chemistry of Mars and Europa, and he is also interested in Titan and the Phoenix lander findings.
Physics news on Phys.org

I have a bunch of questions since I'm not so familiar with this field. I'm jealous that you get to spend the weekend with him!

I don't know enough about the subject to come up with a good question lol.

OK, I 'll bite. What atmospheric chemical signatures might suggest something akin to biological activity on an exoplanet? In other words, What reactive compounds, such as free atmospheric oxygen, would be difficult to explain without replensishment by something resembling biological contributions?

Last edited:

I got to spend a few days with Chris McKay at Zzyzx in the Mojave Desert with the Spaceward Bound group twice in the last 3 years. You'll love him. He's very approachable. I remember somebody asked him how sunscreen works. Yep, he knows that too!

Ask him about the newly-discovered running water on Mars.

Okay - replies will come a bit slow since there isn't much free time on vacation. But I'll say these things

OK, I 'll bite. What atmospheric chemical signatures might suggest something akin to biological activity on an exoplanet? In other words, What reactive compounds, such as free atmospheric oxygen, would be difficult to explain without replensishment by something resembling biological contributions?

Ah - so he's more interested in Mars/Europa/Titan than he is about exoplanets (since he wants to directly determine whether or not exolife exists - which can really only happen with missions to these three bodies). That being said, he says that the vertical temperature distribution of hydrogen gas (H2) on Titan (far less of it at the surface than you would expect) is such that it's difficult to give an abiotic explanation of it (right now)

What reactive compounds, such as free atmospheric oxygen, would be difficult to explain without replensishment by something resembling biological contributions?

Free atmospheric oxygen, ozone (related to oxygen), methane (might be others)

I got to spend a few days with Chris McKay at Zzyzx in the Mojave Desert with the Spaceward Bound group twice in the last 3 years. You'll love him. He's very approachable. I remember somebody asked him how sunscreen works. Yep, he knows that too!

Hahaha nice. :) I wonder how he responded to how sunscreen works. He's really good at making deadpan jokes

==

As for the newly-discovered running water - I'll ask tomorrow. I do know that a lot of it may depend on the biological impact of salts other than sodium chloride (which we know next to nothing about right now). The Phoenix lander showed a huge overabundance of perchlorate salts at its landing site (which is what has become his new obsession), and he's trying to figure out the implications of that right now.

Thanks Simfish!

Related to A Weekend with Chris McKay: NASA Scientist

1. Who is Chris McKay and what does he do?

Chris McKay is a planetary scientist at NASA Ames Research Center. He specializes in the study of planetary atmospheres and the potential for life on other planets.

2. What is "A Weekend with Chris McKay" and why is it important?

"A Weekend with Chris McKay" is an event where people can learn about the latest research and discoveries in planetary science from an expert in the field. It is important because it provides an opportunity for the public to engage with a NASA scientist and gain a better understanding of our universe.

3. What topics will be covered during "A Weekend with Chris McKay"?

Topics that may be covered during "A Weekend with Chris McKay" include planetary atmospheres, astrobiology, and the search for life in the universe. Chris McKay may also discuss his own research and findings from his work at NASA.

4. How can I attend "A Weekend with Chris McKay"?

"A Weekend with Chris McKay" is typically open to the public and may be advertised on NASA's website or social media pages. You may also be able to attend through a local science or educational organization. Check for updates and registration information on the event's official website.

5. Will there be opportunities to ask Chris McKay questions during the event?

Yes, there will likely be a Q&A session during "A Weekend with Chris McKay" where attendees can ask questions and engage in discussion with the scientist. However, due to time constraints, not all questions may be answered.