A very strange chemical reaction

In summary, this is probably the weirdest chemical reaction you'll ever see. Further reading: -Pharaoh's Serpent: Mercury Thiocyanate burning-Coloured 'crystals in water-glass' are safer, but so tame by comparison...-Other fun demos were the town-gas-filled syrup tin bouncing its lid off the ceiling, and the 'Invisible Elephant' stomping a lidded biscuit tin in which a little water had just been boiled...
ElliotSmith
This is probably the weirdest chemical reaction you'll ever see.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You can get a similar effect with sugar, ash and alcohol. Still not harmless but better than burning mercury compounds.

Likes Nik_2213
DrStupid said:
You can get a similar effect with sugar, ash and alcohol. Still not harmless but better than burning mercury compounds.

Mercury vapor is extremely toxic.

Likes Nik_2213
ElliotSmith said:
Mercury vapor is extremely toxic.

Toxic for sure, but calling it "extremely toxic" is an exaggeration. Short term exposures to the vapor are rarely dangerous, it is the chronic poisoning that is a really serious problem.

Likes Nik_2213
Borek said:
Toxic for sure, but calling it "extremely toxic" is an exaggeration. Short term exposures to the vapor are rarely dangerous, it is the chronic poisoning that is a really serious problem.

Right, sorry.

Likes Nik_2213
You can still get some mercury free versions off the shelf under the name "snake in eton hat" or "Schlangenhut".

Likes Nik_2213
Yuck, that is GROSS !
Fascinating, of course, and I'm fairly sure I've seen a much, much larger version used for a pre-CGI, B&W Sci-Fi TV thriller...

Coloured 'crystals in water-glass' are safer, but so tame by comparison...
--
Not so colourful, but pouring a generous dollop of Conc. Sulf. onto a pound of sugar was one of our school's classic 'Open Day' demos. Instant oozing lava-flow. Hard part was finding a student with the right combination of cold nerve and good sense, who'd not be tempted to try such at home...

Other fun demos were the town-gas-filled syrup tin bouncing its lid off the ceiling, and the 'Invisible Elephant' stomping a lidded biscuit tin in which a little water had just been boiled...

FWIW, with folk rushing in and out of the store-room, I found two complex zeolite 'crystal lattice' models on the floor in multiple pieces, spilled from their boxes. Oops. So, I gathered all the parts, turned the fragments about to identify symmetries, hastily re-assembled and re-boxed them...

Several weeks later, there was a foul yell from the store-room. Head of Department came out waving those models, 'Who did these ?'
'Uh, me, sir... Sorry, I found them on the floor in pieces-- Did I get them wrong ?'
'WRONG ? WRONG ?? They're PERFECT, but they ARRIVED broken ! We've spent TWO YEARS trying to re-assemble them !'
;-)

Related to A very strange chemical reaction

What is a chemical reaction?

A chemical reaction is a process in which one or more substances are transformed into new substances with different physical and chemical properties.

What makes a chemical reaction strange?

A chemical reaction can be considered strange if it produces unexpected or unusual results, such as unusual colors, odors, or temperature changes.

Can a chemical reaction be reversed?

Some chemical reactions can be reversed by applying the appropriate conditions, such as changing the temperature or pressure. However, not all reactions can be reversed.

What causes a chemical reaction to occur?

A chemical reaction is caused by the interaction between different substances, known as reactants. This interaction can be triggered by various factors such as heat, light, or the presence of a catalyst.

Are there any safety precautions to take when conducting a chemical reaction?

Yes, it is important to follow safety guidelines when conducting any type of chemical reaction. This may include wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and properly disposing of any leftover chemicals.