A Vector Calculus Identity for Characteristic Projections in PDEs

In summary, a vector calculus identity is a mathematical equation used to describe the properties of vectors in three-dimensional space. Some common identities include the dot product, cross product, and divergence theorem. These identities are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Understanding them is crucial for solving problems and creating accurate solutions. There are many resources available for learning more about vector calculus identities, including textbooks, online tutorials, video lectures, and university courses.
Gregg
In the notes it says that

[itex] \text{v}\cdot \nabla \text{u} = |\text{v}|\frac{du}{dl} [/itex]

[itex] \text{v} = (a(x,y), b(x,y)) [/itex]

l is the arclength in the v-direction.

Why is this?

The LHS is the projection of v onto the gradient of u, the other thing is the magnitude of v, multiplied by the du/dl.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gregg said:
In the notes it says that

[itex] \text{v}\cdot \nabla \text{u} = |\text{v}|\frac{du}{dl} [/itex]

[itex] \text{v} = (a(x,y), b(x,y)) [/itex]

l is the arclength in the v-direction.

Why is this?

The LHS is the projection of v onto the gradient of u, the other thing is the magnitude of v, multiplied by the du/dl.

l is the arclength of what in the v direction? And you haven't told us what u is. Nor what v represents. What we have here is an example of "guess the question". Since I have a bit of time on my hands, I will expound a bit about a question I think might be relevant.

Let ##u(x,y)## be a scalar field, perhaps the temperature at ##(x,y)##. Let a curve ##C## be given by ##\vec R(t) = \langle x(t), y(t)\rangle## represent the location of a moving particle. What if we want the rate of change of ##u## as the particle moves along ##C##? Well we have$$
\frac{du}{ds}=\frac{du}{dt}\frac{dt}{ds}=
(u_x\frac {dx}{dt}+ u_y\frac{dy}{dt})\frac{dt}{ds}$$Multiply both sides by$$
\frac{ds}{dt}=\frac 1 {\frac{dt}{ds}}$$to get$$
\frac{du}{ds}\frac{ds}{dt}=u_x\frac {dx}{dt}+ u_y\frac{dy}{dt}=
\nabla u\cdot \frac {d\vec R}{dt}= \nabla u\cdot \vec V$$

where ##\vec V## is the velocity of the particle. Since ##v = \frac{ds}{dt}=|\vec V|## is its speed, this can be written$$
|\vec V|\frac{du}{ds}=\nabla u\cdot \vec V$$This looks a lot like your result, using ##s## instead of ##l## for arc length. There may be a more direct way of getting the result but, hey, I'm not even sure I worked the problem you were thinking about.

Last edited:
It is the derivation for characteristic projections in PDEs. First order linear PDE with the form

## a(x,y) u_x + b(x,y) u_y + c(x,y) u = d(x,y) ##

##v \cdot \nabla u + c u = d \Rightarrow |v| \frac{du}{dl} + cu = d ##

So I have looked at what you wrote, you have parameterised it so that s is the position or arc length along some curve C?

Gregg said:
It is the derivation for characteristic projections in PDEs. First order linear PDE with the form

## a(x,y) u_x + b(x,y) u_y + c(x,y) u = d(x,y) ##

##v \cdot \nabla u + c u = d \Rightarrow |v| \frac{du}{dl} + cu = d ##

So I have looked at what you wrote, you have parameterised it so that s is the position or arc length along some curve C?

Yes. Now, I am not a PDE expert so I'm not going to comment directly on your PDE question. I do suspect, though, that if you look at and understand what I have done, it will likely apply to your context. Good luck with it.

Related to A Vector Calculus Identity for Characteristic Projections in PDEs

1. What is a vector calculus identity?

A vector calculus identity is a mathematical equation or relationship that describes the properties of vectors in three-dimensional space. It is used to express the fundamental concepts and operations of vector calculus, such as differentiation and integration.

2. What are some common vector calculus identities?

Some common vector calculus identities include the dot product identity, the cross product identity, and the divergence theorem. These identities are used to simplify and solve complex vector equations and problems.

3. How are vector calculus identities used in real-world applications?

Vector calculus identities are used in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to model and analyze physical phenomena, design structures and systems, and create realistic computer-generated images.

4. What is the importance of understanding vector calculus identities?

Understanding vector calculus identities is essential for solving problems in vector calculus and its applications. It allows scientists and engineers to accurately represent and manipulate vectors in three-dimensional space, leading to more accurate and efficient solutions.

5. Are there any resources for learning more about vector calculus identities?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning more about vector calculus identities, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and video lectures. Additionally, many universities offer courses on vector calculus that cover these identities in depth.