A truck covers 80 m in 17 s while smoothly slowing down to a final speed

In summary, the problem given does not have a feasible solution as the truck cannot cover 80 m while smoothly slowing down to a final speed of 5.6 m/s in 17 seconds. It would have to either start at a higher speed to cover 80 m in 17 seconds or maintain a constant speed of 5.6 m/s to cover 95.2 m in 17 seconds.
r-soy
A truck covers 80 m in 17 s while smoothly slowing down to a final speed of 5.6 m/s
a ) find its original speed
b) Final its acceleration

I want check my answer :
a )

Dx = 80 m
t = 17 s
v = 5.6 m/s
v0= ??

by appling the rule

Dx = 1/2(v+v0)t
80 = 1/2(5.6 + v0) 17
v0 = .5 X 80 - 5.6 /17
=2.023 m/s

-------------

b)

v = v0 + at
5.6 = 2.023 + 17a
a = 5.6 -2.023/17 = 0.214

plese help me and wha thw unit of a will be ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Something seems wrong, as slowing down implies, well, that the initial speed was faster than the final. But 2.0 m/s is slower than 5.6 m/s.

If the speed is in m/s, and time in s what is the unit of acceleration? What is acceleration?

how ??

plese I want your help

now I try to sovle this queation by another way anf please help me If it correct or not

Dx = 1/2(v + v0)t

80=1/2(5.6+v0) 17

80 = 1/2(8.6 + 17v0)

80 = 4.25 + 17v0

v0 = 75.75/17 =4.45

plese check my answer .

r-soy said:
now I try to sovle this queation by another way anf please help me If it correct or not

Dx = 1/2(v + v0)t

80=1/2(5.6+v0) 17

80 = 1/2(8.6 + 17v0)
Where did 8.6 come from? Also, you multiplied v0 by 17, but you didn't also multiply 5.6.
r-soy said:
80 = 4.25 + 17v0

v0 = 75.75/17 =4.45

plese check my answer .
Please check that you have written the problem correctly. As given in the first post, it's not possible for the truck to slow down to 5.6 m/sec from a higher speed, and cover 80 m.

Think about it this way: Suppose the truck was moving at a constant speed of 5.6 m/sec. During the 17 seconds, the truck would have traveled 5.6 m/sec * 17 sec = 95.2 m.

On the other hand, if the truck started at a higher speed and slowed to 5.6 m/sec, it would have covered more than 95.2 m in the 17 seconds.

r-soy,
Are you going to follow up on this problem?

Related to A truck covers 80 m in 17 s while smoothly slowing down to a final speed

1. How do you calculate the initial speed of the truck?

If we assume that the truck starts from rest, we can calculate the initial speed by using the formula: initial speed = (final speed * time) / distance. In this case, the final speed is unknown, so we can rearrange the formula to solve for it: final speed = (initial speed * distance) / time. Plugging in the given values of 80 m for distance and 17 s for time, we get a final speed of approximately 4.71 m/s.

2. What is the acceleration of the truck?

To calculate the acceleration, we can use the formula: acceleration = (change in speed) / time. In this case, the change in speed is from the initial speed of 0 m/s to the final speed of 4.71 m/s, and the time is 17 s. Therefore, the acceleration of the truck is approximately 0.28 m/s^2.

3. How far did the truck travel while slowing down?

The distance traveled by the truck can be calculated by using the formula: distance = (initial speed + final speed) / 2 * time. In this case, the initial speed is 0 m/s, the final speed is 4.71 m/s, and the time is 17 s. Plugging in these values, we get a distance of approximately 40 m.

4. What was the average speed of the truck during this time?

The average speed of the truck can be calculated by using the formula: average speed = total distance / total time. In this case, the total distance is 80 m (since the truck traveled 80 m in total), and the total time is 17 s. Therefore, the average speed of the truck is approximately 4.71 m/s.

5. How long did it take for the truck to come to a complete stop?

The time it took for the truck to come to a complete stop can be calculated by using the formula: time = (final speed - initial speed) / acceleration. In this case, the final speed is 0 m/s, the initial speed is 4.71 m/s, and the acceleration is 0.28 m/s^2. Plugging in these values, we get a time of approximately 16.82 s.