A trend formula for the variance

The formulas for the expectation E(Tn) are provided on page 272, but I also need to know what the formulas look like for the variance. The paragraph below equation 21 provides some information, but it may require some effort to understand. The result is quite complicated, but it is necessary for my research. Equation 24 may not be sufficient for my needs. In summary, the paper provides formulas for the expectation E(Tn) on page 272, and the conversation discusses the need for the formulas for the variance Var(Tn). The speaker questions if the information provided in the paper is enough and suggests equation 24, but the other person insists on having the formulas for Var(Tn).
Ad VanderVen
TL;DR Summary
In a paper published in the JOURNAL OF MATHEMATICAL PSYCHOLOGY 39, 265-274 (1995), formulas are provided on page 272 for the expectation of a random variable as dependent on n (formulas 28 and 29). What do these formulas look like for the variance?
In a paper published in the JOURNAL OF MATHEMATICAL PSYCHOLOGY 39, 265-274 (1995), formulas are provided on page 272 for the expectation E(Tn) of a random variable T as dependent on n (formulas 28 and 29). Now I would like to know what these formulas look like for the variance i.e. Var(Tn).

Attachments

• JMP.pdf
    552.1 KB · Views: 242
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, this one again! Have you read the paragraph below eqn 21? Are you prepared to put in the "little more effort"? (Might be more than a little, in my opinion!) The result is "rather complicated". Do you really need it? Is eqn 24 not good enough?

mjc123 said:
Ah, this one again! Have you read the paragraph below eqn 21? Are you prepared to put in the "little more effort"? (Might be more than a little, in my opinion!) The result is "rather complicated". Do you really need it? Is eqn 24 not good enough?
Yes, I really need Var(Tn).

Related to A trend formula for the variance

1. What is a trend formula for the variance?

A trend formula for the variance is a mathematical equation used to calculate the amount of variation or spread in a set of data. It takes into account the differences between each data point and the mean of the data set.

2. Why is a trend formula for the variance important?

A trend formula for the variance is important because it helps us understand how much the data values deviate from the average or expected value. This information is crucial in analyzing and interpreting data in various fields such as science, economics, and finance.

3. How is a trend formula for the variance calculated?

The most commonly used trend formula for the variance is the sample variance formula, which is calculated by taking the sum of the squared differences between each data point and the mean of the data set, divided by the total number of data points minus one.

4. What is the difference between variance and standard deviation?

Variance and standard deviation are both measures of spread or variability in a data set. However, variance is the average of the squared differences from the mean, while standard deviation is the square root of the variance. In other words, standard deviation is a more commonly used measure as it is in the same units as the original data, making it easier to interpret.

5. How can a trend formula for the variance be used in data analysis?

A trend formula for the variance can be used in data analysis to identify patterns, trends, and outliers in a data set. It can also be used to compare the variability of different data sets and make predictions about future data points. Additionally, it is an important tool in statistical hypothesis testing to determine the significance of results.