A tractable Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula

• Thread starter arkobose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation is about a function f(\lambda) defined as e^{\lambda A}e^{\lambda B}, where A and B are two matrices and \lambda is a continuous parameter. The goal is to show that \frac{df}{d\lambda} = \left\{A + B + \frac{\lambda}{1!}[A, B] + \frac{\lambda^2}{2!}[A, [A, B]] + ... \right \}f, which is the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula. The speaker had previously solved this problem but has since forgotten the steps. They tried differentiating f(\lambda) and using commutation, but got stuck.
arkobose
1. Let A and B be two matrices, and [itex]\lambda[/itex] be a continuous parameter.
2. Now, define a function [itex]f(\lambda) \equiv e^{\lambda A}e^{\lambda B}[/itex]. We need to show that [itex]\frac{df}{d\lambda} = \left\{A + B + \frac{\lambda}{1!}[A, B] + \frac{\lambda^2}{2!}[A, [A, B]] + ... \right \}f[/itex]

Once this is shown, setting [itex]\lambda = 1[/itex], and [itex][A, [A, B]] = [B, [A, B]] = 0[/itex] gives us a Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula.

3. I had shown this result quite a while ago, but now I have forgotten completely what I had done. This time, I tried differentiating [itex]f(\lambda)[/itex] w.r.t the argument, and then using the commutation was able to get the first two terms on the R.H.S., but thereafter I got stuck. The very minimal hint would be all that I need.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Without seeing your exact steps I can't say much, but you may need to expand out an exponential or two and work out some commutators term-by-term.

I solved it. Thanks anyway!

Related to A tractable Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula

1. What is the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula?

The Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula is a mathematical formula used in the field of Lie algebras to calculate the logarithm of a product of two elements in the algebra. It is often used in physics and other areas of science to simplify complex calculations.

2. Why is the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula important?

The Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula is important because it allows for the simplification of complex calculations involving Lie algebras. It also has applications in physics, such as in quantum mechanics, where it is used to describe the evolution of quantum systems.

3. How does the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula work?

The formula involves a series of nested commutators, which are mathematical operations that measure the extent to which two elements of an algebra do not commute with each other. By using these commutators, the formula allows for the calculation of the logarithm of a product of two elements in the algebra.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula?

The formula has applications in many areas of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to calculate the dynamics of quantum systems, to model chemical reactions, and to analyze the stability of mechanical systems, among other things.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula?

While the formula is a powerful tool for simplifying complex calculations, it does have some limitations. It may not always be applicable to non-Lie algebras, and it may become increasingly difficult to use as the number of elements in the algebra increases. Additionally, the formula may result in approximations rather than exact solutions in some cases.