A toy car has a mass of 120g, including two 1.5V batteries connected in series.

In summary: So at this point, it seems like the only thing left to do is find out how much charge went through the battery in total. Am I understanding this correctly?Yes, that's correct.
Xaspire88
A toy car has a mass of 120g, including two 1.5V batteries connected in series. Suppose the motor that drives the car is 80% efficient (i.e., 80% of the electric energy goes to the drive wheels, 20% is dissipated as heat) and that friction and air resistance are negligible. How much charge passes through the batteries during the time it takes the car to accelerate from rest to 1.5 m/s?

I thought i might be using these equations somehow. Not entirely sure though.

P=IE
I=[tex]\Delta[/tex]Q/[tex]\Delta[/tex]t ?

I'm really having a hard time knowing where to begin. Any hints or thought provoking questions would help. I suppose i need to find out the amount of time it takes for the car to accelerate to that velocity first but i really have no idea how to begin.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What type of energy the car (including battery) is gaining ?
What's the relation between that type of energy and the required speed (1.5 m/s) ?
Figure this out and you might question the need of knowing the time that it takes.

-----------------------------------------------------
Correct me if I am wrong.
http://ghazi.bousselmi.googlepages.com/présentation2

its gaining kinetic energy. KE= 1/2mv^2 i have a mass of 120g Velocity of 1.5m/s ... so

KE = 1/2 (0.12Kg)(1.5)^2 = 0.27

sorry had my decimal in the wrong place.. its 0.12kg not 1.2kg.

Last edited:
And the electrical power, P = current * volts. Energy is power * time and charge is current * time.
So electrical energy E = I * V * t and Q = I * t

careful, it's 120g not 1.2kg.

nice, now what's the relation between that KE (at that speed) and the total charge that passed through the battery ?

well knowing that E=IVt and Q=IT i can substitute Q for IT in the equation E=ItV and have E=QV
i have a E of .27 and a total voltage of 3.0V? (two 1.5V batteries) .27/3=Q= 0.09 C?

Xaspire88 said:
its gaining kinetic energy. KE= 1/2mv^2 i have a mass of 120g Velocity of 1.5m/s ... so

KE = 1/2 (0.12Kg)(1.5)^2 = 0.27

sorry had my decimal in the wrong place.. its 0.12kg not 1.2kg.

looks to me that you forgot the "1/2".
The rest of calculations is right.

how very right you are :). Thank you. It's always the simple things. so my Ke= .135 then and so .135/3=Q= 0.045 C? Would that be correct?

Ok. Thank you guys.

Related to A toy car has a mass of 120g, including two 1.5V batteries connected in series.

1. How does the mass of the toy car affect its speed?

The mass of an object directly affects its acceleration, but not necessarily its speed. In this case, the mass of the toy car will determine how much force is needed to move it, but once it is in motion, its speed will depend on other factors such as friction and air resistance.

2. How do the batteries impact the mass of the toy car?

The batteries add weight to the toy car, which increases its overall mass. This can affect how much force is needed to move the car and can also impact its handling and stability.

3. Why are the batteries connected in series?

Connecting the batteries in series increases the voltage, which is necessary to power the toy car. This means that the combined energy of the two batteries is used to move the car, rather than just one battery alone.

4. How does the voltage of the batteries affect the performance of the toy car?

The higher the voltage, the more energy is available to power the toy car. This can result in increased speed and acceleration, but it can also impact the overall durability and lifespan of the car.

5. What other factors besides mass and battery power can affect the performance of the toy car?

Other factors that can affect the performance of the toy car include the design and construction of the car, the surface it is being driven on, and external forces such as wind or inclines in the terrain. Additionally, the type and condition of the batteries can also impact the car's performance.