A surface integral over infinite space

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of normalizable functions in quantum mechanics and the conditions for a function to be considered normalizable. It also touches on the topic of infinite surfaces and the surface integral over infinite space. The concept of normalisability is important in dealing with otherwise infinite quantities in physics.
dyn
Hi.
If a function f is normalizable ,ie f→0 as | x | → infinity or r→ infinity then I presume the following surface integral f dS over infinite space is zero ?
But I thought about this again and it seems like a case of zero x infinity. The function is zero at the infinite surface but the area of the infinite surface is infinite. Is the surface integral zero ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but define [itex]f(x)[/itex] for [itex]x\in\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] to be [itex]1[/itex] if [itex]x[/itex] is in the unit square [itex][0,1]\times [0,1][/itex] and zero everywhere else. This is "normalizable" according to your definition. Let [itex]S[/itex] be the plane [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex]. Then [itex]\int_S f dS=1[/itex].

Edit: I might not understand what you mean by infinite surface.

dyn said:
Hi.
If a function f is normalizable ,ie f→0 as | x | → infinity or r→ infinity then I presume the following surface integral f dS over infinite space is zero ?
But I thought about this again and it seems like a case of zero x infinity. The function is zero at the infinite surface but the area of the infinite surface is infinite. Is the surface integral zero ?
Thanks
Can you explain this question? Should it be a question about physical methods, or what does normalizing here mean? Maybe you can give an example for function and surface?

The normalisable function is a normalisable wavefunction from quantum mechanics

dyn said:
The normalisable function is a normalisable wavefunction from quantum mechanics
Then I assume you should better post this there. AFAIK is normalisability a technique used by physicists to deal with otherwise infinite quantities.

Your question is hard to answer mathematically if you don't say what you mean, i.e. in terms of equations, not words.

Normalizable, in Quantum Mechanics, means that in the 1-dimensional case the integral
N^2=$$\int_{a}^{b} |f(x)|^2dx $$ ,
is well-defined and ##N^2<\infty##. The limits ##a## and ##b## can here either be finite or infinite.
Similarly, in the 2-dimensional case:
$$N^2=\int dS |f(\vec{x})|^2 $$

The condition that ##f(x)\rightarrow## when ##|x|\rightarrow \infty## is not enough.

Usually functions need to decrease "fast enough" for convergence.

Related to A surface integral over infinite space

1. What is a surface integral over infinite space?

A surface integral over infinite space is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to calculate the total flux or flow of a vector field through a surface that extends infinitely in all directions. It is a type of multidimensional integral, where the surface is represented as a two-dimensional region in three-dimensional space.

2. How is a surface integral over infinite space different from a regular surface integral?

A regular surface integral is used to calculate the flux through a surface that is bounded or finite, while a surface integral over infinite space is used to calculate the flux through an unbounded or infinite surface. This means that the limits of integration for a regular surface integral are finite, while for an infinite space surface integral, the limits of integration are infinite.

3. What is the significance of a surface integral over infinite space in scientific research?

A surface integral over infinite space is a crucial concept in various fields of science and engineering, such as electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer. It allows researchers to calculate the total amount of a physical quantity, such as electric field or fluid flow, passing through an infinite surface. This information is used to understand and analyze various physical phenomena and design efficient systems.

4. What are the applications of a surface integral over infinite space?

The applications of a surface integral over infinite space are widespread in science and engineering. For example, in electromagnetism, it is used to calculate the total electric flux through a closed surface, which is essential for understanding the behavior of electric fields. In fluid mechanics, it is used to calculate the total fluid flow through a surface, which is crucial for designing efficient hydraulic systems. It is also used in heat transfer to calculate the total heat transfer through a surface, which is important for designing cooling systems.

5. How is a surface integral over infinite space solved?

A surface integral over infinite space is solved using techniques from multivariable calculus, such as converting the integral into a double or triple integral, depending on the dimensionality of the surface. The specific method of solving the integral will depend on the function and the surface being integrated over. In some cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate the solution.